Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Default Front tires not holding air

My front tires are not holding air. I have to fill them up every time I go to use the tractor. I have replaced the valve cores, but that didn't do it. I have inspected them carefully and don't see any punctures. What's the next step? It must be the bead, right?

Thanks.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Default Re: Front tires not holding air

Could be the bead, but also could be thorns. Mix dish detergent with water, and using a paintbrush or rag, wet the entire tire and look for bubbles. Do the rim also, in case the welds are cracking.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    Kubota ZG 22, John Deere 4200 4wd/ 420 loader, 4 wd,08 polaris 700 ranger crew

You may not want to, but my zero turn got this way, put slime in them and solved the problem. I will do this on my tractor if it starts that also. LUTT

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Most likely thorns that arent visible from outside. Slime might fix the problem if is it small thorns . As suggested, mix up a dishwashing soap solution and spray it down all over including the bead seat and rim. I would start with the tire as you are sure to find a bubble or two or three.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

I agree with the other members in regards to the possibility of thorns. Our son takes his dog for her run twice a day on our trails with his golf cart. During the last year, I have patched the ATV aggressive styled tires on his cart at least 6-8 times. Black locust thorns will break off and you won't even see a small piece of the thorn. BTW, all the tires on his cart are tubed. Best wishes.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

If I have invisible thorns, can I patch the hole with a plug? Not sure how I can do that if I can't even see the hole.

Elite Member

Mix up a 25/75 solution of liquid dish soap and water and spray the suspected area heavily.
    ::Sent from a standard desktop keyboard::

My Photobucket

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by joshuabardwell View Post
    If I have invisible thorns, can I patch the hole with a plug? Not sure how I can do that if I can't even see the hole.
    Have you used the soap? And did you find anything?

And no, you can't plug invisible thorns..........unless you use invisiible leak-seeking plugs. That technology is normally reserved for the military, but my local Walmart had them on aisle 4, near the end, second to the bottom shelf last week. Yours may differ.

EDIT: If you can't find leaks with the soap I suggested earlier, you can try the slime, like Gary Fowler suggested.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4520,

Quote Originally Posted by Don87 View Post
    Have you used the soap? And did you find anything?

And no, you can't plug invisible thorns..........unless you use invisiible leak-seeking plugs. That technology is normally reserved for the military, but my local Walmart had them on aisle 4, near the end, second to the bottom shelf last week. Yours may differ.

EDIT: If you can't find leaks with the soap I suggested earlier, you can try the slime, like Gary Fowler suggested.

I use a 15 gal. plastic barrow cut in 1/2 and so can lift the front end and slide barrow under the tire . then lower and fill with water to over the rim level and slowly spin the tire. some times the bubbles are small and slow in riseing this will locate inside and outside of tire at same time.

ken
    Last edited by Ken; 10-03-2012 at 11:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I use a 15 gal. plactic barrow cut in 1/2 and so can lift the front end and slide barrow under the tire . then lower and fill with water to over the rim level and slowly spin the tire. some times the bubbles are small and slow in riseing this will locate inside and outside of tire at same time.

ken
    Anytime you can get the tire under water, that is the best way to find a leak.
    Don

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast