L39 overheating

/ L39 overheating #1  

Dadof3

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota l39
Hi guys,
I do pretty good with routine maintenance and external repairs but I'm definitely not a mechanic.
Here's what happened. About a month ago I changed the the coolant in my tractor (drained the old and put new antifreeze in ) and gave it no more thought. Since then the tractor overheats if I run it for any length of time. It seams as if the fluid is not circulating. I'm just about to the point of bringing it into the dealer. My question is this....Is there anything I can do to try to fix it before giving up and letting the experts handle it? (ie. changing the thermostat etc.) Thanks in advance.
Steve

/ L39 overheating #2  
Is the cooling system completely full? Radiator fins clean? Any screens that may be dirty?

EDIT: Premixed antifreeze, or did you mix it yourself?

/ L39 overheating #3  
Did you run it with the cap off to let the air out?Sounds like its air locked.

/ L39 overheating #5  
That's what it sounds like to me.
That's what I was thinking right away also. Bad part is, if it wasn't full..........the block or head may now be cracked.

Pure antifreeze can cause overheating also.

/ L39 overheating #6  
That's what I was thinking right away also. Bad part is, if it wasn't full..........the block or head may now be cracked.

Pure antifreeze can cause overheating also.

If the block or head is cracked then you are going to see oil in the cool an, or coolant in the oil or coolant in the exhaust. That should be easy to tell.

The first thought I had while ready the post is that it was not premix but was straight antifreeze.

Can the OP confirm?

/ L39 overheating #7  
no comment from the OP yet, but I'm sure he is checking all the above.

/ L39 overheating
Man I'm impressed (thankful) with the quick responses. Yes the radiator and overflow bottle is full. The system is clean. I put 100% antifreeze in when changed. No I have not run it with the cap off. I didn't know this is necessary. Will it help to do it now? I have noticed if I run it for a short time and remove the cap it has back pressure in the radiator (not from steam). Should I change the oil to check for water?
Steve

/ L39 overheating #9  
!00 % antifreeze is bad, must be mixed about 50/50 with water. Pull the dipstick and look for milky oil or water droplets on the stick.

And did you see any traces of oil in your antifreeze with the cap off?

/ L39 overheating #10  
There may be a screw somewhere in the head to let the air out. On a car I usually just pull a heater hose and pour antifreeze in the radiator til it runs out the hose.