1959 Ford 801 Powermaster

/ 1959 Ford 801 Powermaster #1  

hornwiser

Tractor
Ford, 801 Powermaster, Kobota, John Deer
I just recently bought a 1959 Ford 801 Powermaster, 821 model, tractor. It runs good but needs some TLC. It will idle at higher RPM's with no problem, but when you slow down the idle speed it will stall out. It will start again with a little difficulty but not at a lower idle speed. Could this be a carberation problem? It runs and drives with no problems, just stalls out when you slow it down. Thanks for any info. Kenn

/ 1959 Ford 801 Powermaster #2  
More than likely it is a 'dirty carb' problem.

Soundguy is the one you want for Ford problems. Either PM him, or wait for him to find the post, He is the best Ford man on TBN.

/ 1959 Ford 801 Powermaster
Thanks Don, thats probably one thing that should be done. I will clean the gas tank also. I don't know when any maintenance was done on the tractor, so i guess will just keep checking things as i go along. Thanks again Kenn

/ 1959 Ford 801 Powermaster #4  
I just recently bought a 1959 Ford 801 Powermaster, 821 model, tractor. It runs good but needs some TLC. It will idle at higher RPM's with no problem, but when you slow down the idle speed it will stall out. It will start again with a little difficulty but not at a lower idle speed. Could this be a carberation problem? It runs and drives with no problems, just stalls out when you slow it down. Thanks for any info. Kenn

Sure it could be the carburettor whether gas or LP. The low speed jet refines the idle performance. Adjusting is just ti peak rpms at the minimum throttle setting, and when the desired tick over is achieved, richen up the mix (screw IN the idlel air screw just a bit , 1/4 turn))

If the best performance can not be obtained by idle air screw adjustment, suspect low compression and or worn valve and seat sealing.

Good compression is most important to low speed running. A compression test, and an intake manifold vacuum gauge will tell you a lot.

All just good infernal corn-bustion know how!