Default 2940 will and won't start

Can you take a look at my issue on the JD owner/operator forum and see if you can come up with some ideas on what might be my problem? I need more heads on the matter. Thank you. Here's the link: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/j...ont-start.html

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Case 1210, Mitsubishi D2050

Default Re: 2940 will and won't start

It appears that you have some good pointers on that post, particularly about testing your starter by hitting it with 12 volts. If it works, then that definitely points to a safety switch problem or a bad ignition switch.

Tractor
    John Deere 2940

Default Re: 2940 will and won't start

Quote Originally Posted by kenmack View Post
    Can you take a look at my issue on the JD owner/operator forum and see if you can come up with some ideas on what might be my problem? I need more heads on the matter. Thank you. Here's the link: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/j...ont-start.html
    I have had this problem off and on with my 2940 since purchasing it new in 1983. It will start fine some days and not at all on others.
    I thoroughly troubleshot all items related to the electrical, starter, starter switch, neutral safety switch and batteries. Today while trouble shooting, I checked the voltage at the starter solenoid. 4 of the 5 times I checked it I got correct 12+ volts. On the 5th try I got only a few volts. I suspected the starter switch.

While preparing to replace the starter switch, I discovered a wire connector behind the switch (actually 2 connectors) that were clear and made of hard plastic, housing a male to male blade type connector. As I prepared to remove the starter switch, I pulled the wire harness aside. One of the wires in the connector came off very easily.
    After inspection of both hard plastic connectors I discovered the wire that came loose had a slightly different connector than the other wires. I tried to replace the connector a few times and found that it would not press completely in place and with a very light pull come back out. I modified the connector slightly (opened the sides slightly and lifted up the spring tab). When I replaced it after modification it pressed farther into the plastic connector and I could feel it "lock" positively on.
    I replaced the start switch and harness a tried the start switch. The tractor turned over immediately. I have tried it 20+ times since this repair and have not had a no start problem since.

I have read a lot of people have had this problem. I hope this solution will work for those of you who have encountered this very frustrating problem.