2940 will and won't start

/ 2940 will and won't start #2  
It appears that you have some good pointers on that post, particularly about testing your starter by hitting it with 12 volts. If it works, then that definitely points to a safety switch problem or a bad ignition switch.

/ 2940 will and won't start #3  
Can you take a look at my issue on the JD owner/operator forum and see if you can come up with some ideas on what might be my problem? I need more heads on the matter. Thank you. Here's the link: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/259368-jd-2940-wont-start.html

I have had this problem off and on with my 2940 since purchasing it new in 1983. It will start fine some days and not at all on others.
I thoroughly troubleshot all items related to the electrical, starter, starter switch, neutral safety switch and batteries. Today while trouble shooting, I checked the voltage at the starter solenoid. 4 of the 5 times I checked it I got correct 12+ volts. On the 5th try I got only a few volts. I suspected the starter switch.

While preparing to replace the starter switch, I discovered a wire connector behind the switch (actually 2 connectors) that were clear and made of hard plastic, housing a male to male blade type connector. As I prepared to remove the starter switch, I pulled the wire harness aside. One of the wires in the connector came off very easily.
After inspection of both hard plastic connectors I discovered the wire that came loose had a slightly different connector than the other wires. I tried to replace the connector a few times and found that it would not press completely in place and with a very light pull come back out. I modified the connector slightly (opened the sides slightly and lifted up the spring tab). When I replaced it after modification it pressed farther into the plastic connector and I could feel it "lock" positively on.
I replaced the start switch and harness a tried the start switch. The tractor turned over immediately. I have tried it 20+ times since this repair and have not had a no start problem since.

I have read a lot of people have had this problem. I hope this solution will work for those of you who have encountered this very frustrating problem.