Diesel Compression Tester for Yanmar 3TNE88

/ Diesel Compression Tester for Yanmar 3TNE88
Rained out on my project, so I thought I do some prep for the compression test. Fabricated a hold down plate for the compression tester adapter and tried to pull one of the injectors just to see if I could get it out. Couldn't get it to budge without a puller, so I'll have to work up a puller to use with my slide hammer. The only thing to attach the puller to is the threads for the fuel line fitting. I don't have a spare fuel line fitting so I'll need to come up with something else to thread onto the injector. So far, I haven't been able to figure out what the thread size and pitch is on the injector.

Gave up trying to determine the thread size on the injectors and just ordered the Yanmar injector puller tool. Should be here in about a week. In the mean-time, I'm just twiddling my thumbs... still rained out on the project and this would be the perfect time to be fiddling with the tractor, but I can't even do that until the tools come in.

/ Diesel Compression Tester for Yanmar 3TNE88 #13  
The only thing to attach the puller to is the threads for the fuel line fitting.
I don't have a spare fuel line fitting so I'll need to come up with something else to thread onto the injector.

All these injectors are hard to remove, in my experience. I left the fuel line installed and pried
carefully on it to get it started, then removed the line. This gave me something to grab with a
small vise-grips to turn the injector, while prying on the vise-grips. Of course, my engine was
out, so I had all sorts of working room.

There is a seal at the bottom of the injector hole that sometimes comes out with the injector,
and sometimes not.

Good luck.

All these injectors are hard to remove, in my experience. I left the fuel line installed and pried
carefully on it to get it started, then removed the line. This gave me something to grab with a
small vise-grips to turn the injector, while prying on the vise-grips. Of course, my engine was
out, so I had all sorts of working room.

There is a seal at the bottom of the injector hole that sometimes comes out with the injector,
and sometimes not.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info. Is the seal a copper washer type seal? Do you know if they typically need to be replaced when an injector is pulled? Or can they be re-used?

I've been spraying the injectors with penetrating oil hoping to loosen them up in their bores. Hopefully the puller & slide hammer will make short work of them.

/ Diesel Compression Tester for Yanmar 3TNE88 #15  
Is the seal a copper washer type seal? Do you know if they
typically need to be replaced when an injector is pulled? Or can they be re-used?

They were some kinda plastic, as I recall. I installed all new in one case, and re-used in
another. If they don't come out with the injector, I do not know how you get them
out without damaging them. "Standard" engine re-build guidelines prob call for
replacing, but I had no problems re-using the old ones. If you are going to order a
bunch of other parts, I would get new ones.

They were some kinda plastic, as I recall. I installed all new in one case, and re-used in
another. If they don't come out with the injector, I do not know how you get them
out without damaging them. "Standard" engine re-build guidelines prob call for
replacing, but I had no problems re-using the old ones. If you are going to order a
bunch of other parts, I would get new ones.
I agree. For now, I am just wanting to perform a compression test and a leak down test, but wasn't sure if the seals were reusable. If the head has to come off, then new seals would be installed. Thanks

Got a call from the Yanmar dealer... my injector puller came in. Picked it up today and there was little unmentioned surprise. They didn't bother to tell me that there was a freight charge for them to order it in on the stock order, so my $33 puller ended up costing $50 with freight and tax. Just like getting stuff from JD, it's a rediculous price for what it is... basically it's just a coupler nut that has been bored out on one end and re-threaded to screw onto the injector. The slide hammer threads into the other end. Now if I could just get the dang compression tester adapter. It's on back-order so I'm still waiting.......

I got tired of getting jacked around by the company with the back-ordered adapter... they would give me a date, then when I'd call, they'd push it back again. Cancelled that order and found another place that had one in-stock and ordered it.

/ Diesel Compression Tester for Yanmar 3TNE88 #19  
I got tired of getting jacked around by the company with the back-ordered adapter... they would give me a date, then when I'd call, they'd push it back again. Cancelled that order and found another place that had one in-stock and ordered it.

I am looking to do the same thing on my 4TN82 Yanmar - where did you get the adapter and what compression tester did you use - diesels are new to me - spark plugs are much easier...

Thanks in advance!