Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 4100 HST CUT w/Yanmar 3TNE74 | JD 300 Lawn

Default Re: Diesel Compression Tester for Yanmar 3TNE88

How do I do a leak down? I have a JD 4100 CUT -- Yanmar 3TNE74. 3 cylinder. I was looking at this -- Yanmar Tractor Parts: COMPRESSION TESTER KIT - READ NOTES! -- and this -- 12 Piece Diesel Engine Compression Tester

But I see where I may have trouble getting the injector out. Mine has glo plugs. Would that be easier. Novice here -- sorry for dumb questions.

Tractor
    Many

Default Re: Diesel Compression Tester for Yanmar 3TNE88

Quote Originally Posted by coloradotrout View Post
    How do I do a leak down? I have a JD 4100 CUT -- Yanmar 3TNE74. 3 cylinder. I was looking at this -- Yanmar Tractor Parts: COMPRESSION TESTER KIT - READ NOTES! -- and this -- 12 Piece Diesel Engine Compression Tester

But I see where I may have trouble getting the injector out. Mine has glo plugs. Would that be easier. Novice here -- sorry for dumb questions.

There really aren't any dumb questions....asking first is always better that doing it blind - unless you have unlimited time and money.....
    I don't have an answer on the leakdown procedure; just a word of caution from my own experience. Glowplugs will sometime swell at the tip, or build up deposits (especially if they were weak or not working.) this sometimes make removal difficult, and if you break one off or break a piece off and it falls into the cylinder, you can damage the piston/valves due to very little clearance at TDC.
    Make sure you have a way to peer inside the injector hole if you have any evidence of the tip breaking off when you remove your glowplugs. If so, you will need to remove the injector, and use one of those borescope type devices (make sure the end is smaller than injector hole) you can get them at grainger (quality) or cheepies at Harbor Freight, but the diameter must be small enough to get inside, and it must have a light at the tip. Again - this will only be needed if you damage a glowplug when removing, but leaving the piece inside the cylinder is not a good option. and it won't blowout by cranking (you'll beat the snot out of the piston head or damage a valve....) Just FYI - I didn't try this because I knew what would happen....I wound up pulling the head anyway....

Free Advice and a dollar will probably make you owe taxes to the feds in this day and age, it sure won't buy you a cup of coffee anymore....Just be careful and mindful of what can happen. (Yes...that's the voice of experience you're hearing....)

Wherewolf

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123