6v Starter on 12v Tractor - Ford 9N

/ 6v Starter on 12v Tractor - Ford 9N #1  

macecase

Bronze Member
Tractor
1965 John Deere 3020 Diesel and 1975 John Deere 4630 Diesel
I am restoring an old 9N that is 6v. I want to convert it to 12v sooner or later. The old battery is gone as it was junk. The generator was also missing when I bought this. So, before I go an buy a 6v battery and generator and upgrade it later, I have a few questions. I would consider just doing a 12v conversion since the battery and generator are already gone.

1) Is the starter specific for a 6v? I have read about a resistor that could be used to continue using the 6v starter with a 12v battery. I want to double check that it would be needed.

Anything else that I'd have to worry about when converting?

I know I'd need a coil and look to buy this conversion kit:

Ford Electrical System 8NE10300ALT-C 12 Volt Conversion Kit, Front Mount Distributor

/ 6v Starter on 12v Tractor - Ford 9N #2  
I have changed an NAA, an 841, and a 621 all over to a 12V system and they all still have the same starter as before, as a matter o fact I think the listings for a new starter list them as being able to be used 6V or 12V. You will also have to change the solenoid and any lights that you have and the coil as you liated but I can't think of anything else right off.

/ 6v Starter on 12v Tractor - Ford 9N
I have changed an NAA, an 841, and a 621 all over to a 12V system and they all still have the same starter as before, as a matter o fact I think the listings for a new starter list them as being able to be used 6V or 12V. You will also have to change the solenoid and any lights that you have and the coil as you liated but I can't think of anything else right off.

Ok, cool. Thanks. All makes sense.

/ 6v Starter on 12v Tractor - Ford 9N #4  

a 9n / 2n does not have a solenoid.. it has a starter switch...... it's fine on 12v.. besides.. IF it had a solenoid...you DO NOT have to change the 6v solenoid ( like an 8n+ thru 64 gasser would use ).

just like the starter.. it runs fine on 12v.

old 6v coil can be used with addition of another resistor ( like an 8ne10306 ).. OR.. with them front mounts.. i prefer instead to buy the newer 2.5 ohm square coil and keep the oem dash resistor. that 2.5 ohm coil is marketed as 12v.. but still needs the oem dash resistor..

/ 6v Starter on 12v Tractor - Ford 9N #5  
I have read about a resistor that could be used to continue using the 6v starter with a 12v battery.

now that would be something to see! some big aluminum shunt perhaps! :) ;)

no.. there is no resistor to use the 6v start on 12v.. just use the 6.. it will last a long time. drive may take a bit of a beating.. but replace it when it goes out.. eh?.

lamps need replacement.

get a 2.5 ohm coil and use it with the oem 12250 dash resistor..

there is NO solenoid on your machine. if it was an 8n with a solenoid.. it would be fine on 12v

/ 6v Starter on 12v Tractor - Ford 9N #6  
I prefer to keep them 6 volt, they start just fine like that. I also think a 6v battery lasts longer than a 12v. Like everyone said you can use the original starter, a 6v stater with 12v spins fast. If you do change it get a original generator and have a stater/ alternator shop rebuild and covert it to a 12v, then it will look original but be 12v. Everything will bolt on and function like original. Most of the kits you buy do not really fit that good plus you have a will have a Ford tractor with a GM alternator. I also think a 6v battery lasts longer than a 12v.

/ 6v Starter on 12v Tractor - Ford 9N #7  
there's a place on the internet that will build you an alt in a genny case.

/ 6v Starter on 12v Tractor - Ford 9N #8  
We used to have an old 9N when I was in my teens and 20's. Since it had a Rambler radiator and a "beer keg" gas tank, we were not trying to keep it original, just working.

We converted to 12v. We did use a GM alt and regulator and put in a new coil.. The tractor worked fine with the 6v starter for many years.

When the old up-draft carb finally gave out, the tractor sat until we finally got rid of it.

/ 6v Starter on 12v Tractor - Ford 9N #9  
The starter is a series motor. The higher the voltage the more torque it produces and the faster it spins. This can really make a difference on a cold morning with quicker starts.
Before Dad converted to 12 v, ( back about 1960) we would use a 12 v battery for jump starts. He taught auto mechanics and made the 12 v conversion a " school project"......

/ 6v Starter on 12v Tractor - Ford 9N #10  
and if your compression is a hair low.. that faster spin helps!