Tractor won't pull in high

/ Tractor won't pull in high #1  

hmeadows

Tractor
Mitsubishi D2350 FD
I have a Mitsubishi D2350 FD tractor and it won't pull in high range. It will pull in low and mid but seems to lack power. With the clutch pushed in it will turn upper 20s rpm. Does anyone know what can be the problem? Someone suggested that if it was the clutch it wouldn't pull at all. They think it could be a fuel problem but would it rev up this high with or without a load on it?

Thanks for all comments.

/ Tractor won't pull in high #2  
If it is reaching full revs whether under a load or not it is most likely not a fuel issue. A slipping clutch sounds probable, as a higher gear range is almost always where an operator will notice the first signs. You may want to try adjusting the pedal linkage and seeing if that helps any (should be an adjustment nut on the rod under the left floorboard). If it doesn't help, you will probable need to start looking for a new clutch...lots of parts online and even some good prices on Ebay for clutch parts.

/ Tractor won't pull in high #3  
Two things immediately come to mind. Either you are trying to pull your workload in too high a gear which would result in a "lack of power" OR if you've previously done the same work in the same higher gears, try cleaning/changing the fuel filters and air filter. Usually if an air filter is dirty, along with a loss of power the engine will smoke more, while fuel filters just show as a power loss at higher demand loads. The more severe a fuel filter is plugged the less work demand it takes for a power loss.
I doubt its a clutch issue as there should be a power loss due to clutch slippage in all gears under a work load.

/ Tractor won't pull in high #4  
Check your parking brake

/ Tractor won't pull in high #5  
I work at a cat dealer and we have had this issue many times on older machines, alot of the problem comes from the fuel that is made now, including a lack in lubricosity. The older guys will but some atf in the fuel and say it helps clean and lubricate your fuel system componets. They say after about 30 to 40 minutes of running you can notice a difference about like adding lead additive to the old gas engines. I know for a 40 gallon system they add one quart, but if you only run the tank half out and go to fill again DO NOT PUT IN ANOTHER FULL QUART, it will start burning to hot.

/ Tractor won't pull in high #6  
when it stops pulling.. is engine bogging down or still screaming?

/ Tractor won't pull in high
I did put Kleen diesel fuel additive in with the fuel.

/ Tractor won't pull in high
Engine is screaming. It will not move at all in high range without a load. If I fill the bucket with dirt, I have to go into low range to move.

/ Tractor won't pull in high #9  
If the engine is staying revved up and it slows down the clutch is slipping. Do you smell anything burning?

/ Tractor won't pull in high #10  
i agree.. if engine is not faltering.. but no movement.. soemthing from the clutch back is slipping.