Tractor
    54 NAA

Default No timming mark on flywheel 1954 Ford NAA

Installed new oil pump .. repaired distributor. Cannot find timing marks on flywheel to install distributor at the right crank position tried just do it by #1 piston still no luck...Have gas and spark wont start..even have oil pressure. Where are the timing marks ...worn off??? Any help would be great

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Mitsubishi MT372, Ford NAA

Default Re: No timming mark on flywheel 1954 Ford NAA

Put a flash light shining on the hole, wipe off the flywheel that is showing, use a screw driver (or similar) to move the flywheel and keep wiping...they will show up eventually. that's how i found mine.

Tractor
    54 NAA

Quote Originally Posted by skylarkguy View Post
    Put a flash light shining on the hole, wipe off the flywheel that is showing, use a screw driver (or similar) to move the flywheel and keep wiping...they will show up eventually. that's how i found mine.
    I did that until I rotated the fly wheel 360 . Finely I just dropped in the distributor where I thought it should go, it fired up and I moved the distributor back and forth and gave it gas and at any distributor position and rpm there where no marks on the flywheel with using the timeing light. I did have what looked like a mark made by a scewdriver on the edge of the flywheel and went with that. The tractor is running better then it has in years,now the only thing that is wrong is I must not have tightened up the oil pump bolts enough or needed to use a thread sealent because I have oil dropping from the bolts. I will have to wait until spring at this point to drop the pan and either thighten them up or replace the bolts

Tractor
    1954 ford NAA

Glad you have it running good. I just rebuilt a 54 naa and had the same issue. no marks on the fly wheel so i always time by ear when i replace my points.