Can't find a starter

/ Can't find a starter #1  

AroniaFarmer

Bronze Member
Tractor
TYM T603 52' Ford 8N
Hey everyone. I know this is a tractor forum not a truck forum, but I have a mid 60s ford N-600 and I can't find a replacment starter for it. Does anyone know a place on the internet that I can buy or just look at? thanks

/ Can't find a starter #2  
Surely there is someone local to you that rebuilds starters and alternators. Some auto parts stores also can send items out for rebuild. Rebuilding your own is usually quite a bit cheaper than replacing also.

Ken

/ Can't find a starter #3  
What engine does it have? Look for other ford applications that age with the same engine. Best option is probably rebuild the old one though.

/ Can't find a starter
What engine does it have? Look for other ford applications that age with the same engine. Best option is probably rebuild the old one though.
I beleive that it has an inline 6 ford engine.. I have very little info on it
Its been sitting for 18 years and the starter looks pretty shot

/ Can't find a starter #5  
Unless you've had the starter apart and inspected its innards you don't know if it's good or bad. The outer case can look beat up, but that doesn't tell anything about the inside.

Ken

/ Can't find a starter #6  
my info tells me that it will either be a 40mt delco or prestolite and it can either have a solenoid attached to the unit or the solenoid is mounted elsewhere on the truck. it would be most helpful to me for you to post pictures of the old one and yes they are still available and most parts can be found. and by the way the delco will replace the prestolite if this turns out to be correct.

/ Can't find a starter
alright ill get some pictures of it on here

It doesnt have a solenoid attached to it, that is somewhere else on the truck. I is totally locked up

Thanks for your info!

/ Can't find a starter #9  
According to an old Chilon's I have, The six cylinder in an N600 was also used in an F100, F250, F350, F500 and F600. You really need to figure out the year. Your insurance agent can tell you the year from the VIN. You might even find an old registration in the glove box.