Finally Got the Batwing Fixed!!

/ Finally Got the Batwing Fixed!! #1  

SLHawkins

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 5403, International Harvester 584
Back in April, I had about 75 yards left of a 20+ acre field to finish cutting when I noticed that I wasn't getting a full 20 foot cut. I then noticed that the shaft on the left wing had separated from the main gear housing. My first thought (hope) was that is was just a shear pin. Nope, the spline shaft had completely sheared off. I have no idea what originally caused this shaft to twist. But, it has been twisted since I got it from my uncle (really, it was...lol). Putting two and two together, now I have a better understanding of why the PTO on his IH1566 was broke. Whatever someone hit to cause that splined shaft to twist is what broke the PTO. I have been saying to myself that it is only a matter of time before it completely sheared though. Luckily, it did not do any damage to my tractor when it finally failed. I thought that I'd be able to take this opportunity to switch it over to 540 rpm from 1000 rpm. But, those gears are expensive and it involves a whole lot more than I can afford or feel like dealing with. Even at 540 rpm, I get a pretty good cut (I do need to sharpen the blades though). In any event, thanks to the folks at Messicks, I was able to get the part I needed and now I am ready to get back to cutting. Of course, the grass, weeds, and shrubs have regrown, so I will have to do the whole 20 plus acres again. But, with this batwing, it is only a 3 hour job:D It was a whole lot easier to fix than I expected. I used the press at the craft shop here on post to remove and re-install the two ring bearings. Luckily, these were not damaged. And, the plate is self sealing, so there were no o-rings or gaskets to replace. Oh, if only all repairs were this easy...:cool2:

Hawk
Bushhogs 006.JPGBushhogs 007.JPGBushhogs 008.JPGBushhogs 009.JPGBushhogs 010.JPGBushhogs 011.JPG

/ Finally Got the Batwing Fixed!! #2  
i'd be servicing the torque limiter, as evidently it ain't working.

/ Finally Got the Batwing Fixed!!
Soundguy,
When I get back down there on Saturday afternoon that'll be task one!

Hawk

/ Finally Got the Batwing Fixed!! #4  
otherwise you will be doing this again!

ps.. if you are running half rpm,, she's gonna cut worse/ harder.. so sharpening will be a must..

Soundguy,
Thanks for the tips. Fortunately, the two fields that I use it on are debris and bush-free. But, the lack of effective preventive maintenance checks and service is beginning to show.

Hawk

/ Finally Got the Batwing Fixed!! #6  
will the boxes hold oil? if not go to a 0 ep grease...

The main box in the center and the right wing gearbox will. The left gearbox leaks like a seive (I have pictures from that repair too-not pretty:mad:) I am going to fill that box with grease before I put the batwing back in service.

Hawk

/ Finally Got the Batwing Fixed!! #8  
i'd go with 0ep not 00 then if it leaks that bad.

sounds like that mower needs to be retired. seen better days....

...sounds like that mower needs to be retired. seen better days....[/QUOTE said:
I'll admit, it is indeed old and has a few rattles, but for the few times a year I use it and small amount of acreage, it's got plenty of life left. The deck is solid with no holes or rust. All it needs is a good once over, a few parts replaced, and some TLC. And, again, for the few times I need to use it and the few acres that I cut, I can't justify buying another new or used. I have yet to come across one this size that is in as good a shape as this one and is within my budget. It has definitely seen better days, but I'm gonna hold on to it for a little bit longer.

Hawk

/ Finally Got the Batwing Fixed!! #10  
my point was, that it soulds like you've invested in it a few times recently.. based upon it's condition.. I hope the investments were cheap.

batwings in the 15' rnge around here go in the 1500-2500$ rnage for ones that are well used but work.

just sayin.

i own and use some tractors that other people would likely call junk.. :)