check oil flow idea, good? dad?

/ check oil flow idea, good? dad? #1  

claypidgeon

Tractor
satoh, bull 630
Thinking about goe mageeing something up to the oil sensor hole and running preshureized oil to check flow. What do you think, just might work or not?

/ check oil flow idea, good? dad? #2  
I would cite the crow release hatch to the pondering wrench hole instead.

/ check oil flow idea, good? dad?
ctiguy
I'm not familure with your crow realise hatch or pondering wrench hole. What are you talking about? Draw me a diagram, I need visual conformation.

/ check oil flow idea, good? dad? #4  
ctiguy
I'm not familure with your crow realise hatch or pondering wrench hole. What are you talking about? Draw me a diagram, I need visual conformation.

claypidgeon Maybe try again to explain your idea. I have no idea what a "goe Mageeing " is either.
Now if the question was using some other method to flow pressurized oil in the engine to check for oil flow
A oil pump and container to hold the oil can run engine with dry sump. This is done with large gas compressor engines oil flow is returned to common tank.
Are you having a engine with oil problems and want to know where pressure is being lost. ?
The oil pan is no more than a container to hold fluid until pumped into the oil system of engine.
ken

/ check oil flow idea, good? dad? #5  
Bad idea! As you drain off oil to see the flow then it is not flowing to lubricate the engine. If you want to see flow pull the valve cover and look.

Let me explane..
My problem is a rod bearing fried. I suspect it is due to a lack of oil to one lobe of the crank. That oil is suplied through the crank and surfaces through a hole in the jurnal. My pan is off and so is the head. I know that oil was getting to the other jurnal and also to the rocker arm asembly. I am suspicious of the problem area because of the fried bearing and the fact that I ran a wire up the suply hole and it came out dry. AS to my term "Joe Megge", I was refering to rigging something up to work in away you might not see done in a shop. The oil pressure sensor is mounted on the side of the block, the hole is threaded, and it is near the leavle of the crank. It seems reasonable to me, that if I remove the sensor and screw in a fitting that I can hook up some tubing to and run oil through the lower end of the oil track, I could find out if the passege way was clear to the crank jurnal in question. My question to you guys was " good idea, bad idea?". I do not think there would be any problems created by doing this, just thought I would check. Sorry about my spelling, I meant Bad not dad and joe not goe.

/ check oil flow idea, good? dad? #7  
Let me explane..
AS to my term "Joe Megge", I was refering to rigging something up to work in away you might not see done in a shop.

I think the term is "Jury rigging" - Jury rigging refers to makeshift repairs or temporary contrivances, made with only the tools and materials that happen to be on hand.

/ check oil flow idea, good? dad? #8  
Let me explane..
My problem is a rod bearing fried. I suspect it is due to a lack of oil to one lobe of the crank. That oil is suplied through the crank and surfaces through a hole in the jurnal. My pan is off and so is the head. I know that oil was getting to the other jurnal and also to the rocker arm asembly. I am suspicious of the problem area because of the fried bearing and the fact that I ran a wire up the suply hole and it came out dry. AS to my term "Joe Megge", I was refering to rigging something up to work in away you might not see done in a shop. The oil pressure sensor is mounted on the side of the block, the hole is threaded, and it is near the leavle of the crank. It seems reasonable to me, that if I remove the sensor and screw in a fitting that I can hook up some tubing to and run oil through the lower end of the oil track, I could find out if the passege way was clear to the crank jurnal in question. My question to you guys was " good idea, bad idea?". I do not think there would be any problems created by doing this, just thought I would check. Sorry about my spelling, I meant Bad not dad and joe not goe.

Look carefully at the bearing that failed possible it spun just enough to block the oil hole. And blow air into oil line to check if reaches the failed bearings.
keep replying as to what happened.
ken

Thanks Ken..
I picked up some plastic fittings to rig up a pump to the oil filter mount. After studdying the oil flow scamatic I see that the oil enters the filter around the outside and then goes back into the motar through the center theaded filter mount. I am going to try to run oil through first. If the oil does not come out the hole in the jurnal I will try using air for the extra preshure. The plastic fittings are so I don't mess up the threads on the filter mount. As to a wether a chunk of bearing got up in the oil suply hole, I ran a wire up as far as I could and felt nothing. That dosen't mean there could still be something up there. I'm going to put something under the hole when I run my test so if some thing comes out I'll see it. I'm going to try to get to it today. I will keep you posted...

Ran the oil flow test and all is good. Nice solid flow. Should get the head gasket tommorrow. I'll retorque the rod caps and put the pan back on while I'm waiting. There was no thermostat in the head when I took the thing apart. Contiplating putting one in. I't not that cold here in the winter but I live at nearly 3000 ft. We get alot of days in the 30's and 40's, I probably should. Any input on that?