nylon fuel line with compression fittings

/ nylon fuel line with compression fittings #1  

Johnny_B

Silver Member
Tractor
MF GC2410 TLB w/ 60" MMM
I'm replacing steel fuel lines on a car and plan on using nylon fuel line. The brass compression fittings I have use brass ferrules, but I've seen brass fittings online with plastic ferrules. Since I'm using plastic lines, do I need to use plastic ferrules so they crush/seal correctly around the nylon line?

/ nylon fuel line with compression fittings #2  
I would be cautious about using anything but steel. Nylon can melt. Where I work we use lots of nylon hose with both brass and stainless steel ferrules. But we use an inner backer that sandwiches the tubing in the middle that helps seal it.

/ nylon fuel line with compression fittings #3  
What kind of car? If it's fuel injected, with a pump in the tank-then there is pretty high pressures in the lines. Nylon sounds like a bad choice either way to me.

/ nylon fuel line with compression fittings #4  
Most fuel lines today are plastic in some areas and usually stainless in other areas (due to flex fuels). Whether or not the line your using is rated for fuel would by my question. If it is, it should be just fine for fuel injection use. They do not recommend rubber fuel hose for anything appreciable in pressure (above 10psi or so). Fuel pressures (in non direct inj) are typically less than 60-70psi with a normal of about 40-50 running. They make fuel line repair kits where you heat up the plastic lines with hot water to soften and then use a special tool to push the plastic line over a steel line to effectively hold and seal it all at once. A typical compression fitting for a steel line isnt going to work as they depend on the lines wall to be part of the seal. Im sure they make something out there that will work for plastic however.

Ps- working with the plastic is a PIA and steel line (bulk brake line) is easier to work with and will be cheaper, plus you can use your compression fittings. Dont use them for brakes, but fuel lines is just fine.

/ nylon fuel line with compression fittings #5  
You can get barbed ferruls with a compression fitting on the other end if you get to a good section of your old line you want to connect to. Run your nylon line up to that ferrul and soften the line with hot hot water for a bit and carefully push it onto the barbs. The nylon with push on really hard and when it hardens it should be good to go, no clamps or anything need to be used.

/ nylon fuel line with compression fittings
You can get barbed ferruls with a compression fitting on the other end if you get to a good section of your old line you want to connect to. Run your nylon line up to that ferrul and soften the line with hot hot water for a bit and carefully push it onto the barbs. The nylon with push on really hard and when it hardens it should be good to go, no clamps or anything need to be used.

Thanks to everyone for their input. The fuel line is specific for fuel lines from the local auto parts store. Since I made this post, I've also found out that Ni-Copp and/or stainless lines aren't much more expensive.