new guy with some general problems needing help

/ new guy with some general problems needing help #1  

sleblanc

Tractor
1989 case 245
Hey guys, i am pretty new here but i have been searching and trying to view post on the website for a few months now. I recently inherited my grandpaws 1989 case 245 2wd turf champ tractor. I have been the main one cutting the 11 acres for the last 15 years with it. Now that its mine i would like to spend a little money fixing some things. The muffler is pretty bent up. Would it be ok to weld on a regular cheap glasspack from the autoparts store to quiet this this thing down some? Also i am ready to take these turf tires off and i really have been looking hard to find something for the rear that will fit the 20in wheels and not be turf style. it currently has 355/80/D20 bridgestones on the rear. i will more then likely leave the front tires as the turf type. and i will be looking for ways to add some weight to the front. i currently have a small set of choppers, grooming mower, bushhog, and blade that i use regularly. These turf tires just dont cut it. Thanks for the help guys.

/ new guy with some general problems needing help #2  
I don't know how well a glasspack will hold up to the EGT's of a diesel, it may burn out fast. You may want to go with a muffler that doesn't use fiberglass. For the tires you will want something close to that height so it will not throw off the gearing. You may have to buy rims too put Ag's on it, they are usually narrower than turfs. Here is a link to tractor data, it tell you what size ags would have came on it.

/ new guy with some general problems needing help #3  
Why not replace w/ stock parts? Hard to beat OE engineering.
Be careful that you do not weld on something and due to shaking
you end up breaking the exhaust manifold!

Perhaps get the TSM and parts books or see if they are online and
look at things.

/ new guy with some general problems needing help #4  
Is your tractor 2wd or 4 wheel drive? Very imporant, they came either way.

If it is 4wd, you will have to spend the bucks to do the tires and rims right, trying to get by with an off size and miss-matched tires is very, very hard on the transfer and front gear sets, will wear out something in short order. And that 'something' tends to be very spendy....

If it is 2wd then you can pair things up a little more cheaply.

In any case, very often turf tires fit one set of rims, and ag tires fit a different set of rims, and you won't find an ag tire that will fit the turf rim....

There are aftermarket muffler suppliers that have an assortment of the proper type of muffler for a small diesel tractor, I would look for one of those to slip on rather than trying to get a glass packed one to work, donno if they fit well to a diesel, designed for a gas engine.

--->Paul

/ new guy with some general problems needing help #5  
As far as the muffler...I'd go with the OEM part, if available.

As far as the tires...I expect it will be difficult to find R-1 wheels and tires. Try a salvage yard.
Or, if the turfs are in decent shape and you need better traction, get chains.

/ new guy with some general problems needing help
stated in the first post it was a 2wd. i wouldnt mind finding an r4 tire for the rear either. i just would really like to avoid swapping wheels.

/ new guy with some general problems needing help #7  
Sorry I guess I did not see that you said 2WD. A tire shop may be able to come up with something close in a R4 to fit the wheel.

maybe so any recommendations on brands to look at that may cross over?

think i found some info. found these on the firestone site. the current tire is 355/80/20 looks like firestone makes an R1 360/70/20 that is the close to the same height according to the specs. they also offer a 12.5-20 construction tire. both of these look to fit my 11in wide wheel and fit in that 40-42in height range that i would like to stay in. what do you guys think?