7040 allis chalmer trany issues?????

/ 7040 allis chalmer trany issues????? #1  

nattynuts5886

Tractor
1940s mccormick deering 0-4, 170 allis chalmer, 950 john deere, 7030 and 7040 allis chalmer 986 international
Hello, my 7040 allis chalmer is haveing some complocations when you put it in gear it wants to stall out. It is not the clutch and was wonder what els could be wrong. I want to say it is in the trany but I'm only 14 and never worked on a auto shift transmission and was hopeing it could be something because we can't afford to have it fixed so I figured I would do it my self because I already rebuilt tractors so it can't be to much worse. Please give me any advice or tips thanks.

/ 7040 allis chalmer trany issues????? #2  
Points toward the transmission. The 7040 transmission was designed to resolve the problems of the One Ninety XT hitch was a major disaster. I heard of the 7040 tranny was rugged but your tractor is probably getting close to 40 years old. I'm not much help on the tractors as I worked in combine engineering but our power train guy kept us informed on the challenges faced by the tractor plant. Hope you find out it isn't something major broken. Did it drive okay to where you stopped it or did this come up as something new after starting it after it had been shut down? Did it crunch to a stop during a power shift under load? Are you sure the engine is putting out good power and isn't just starved for fuel so that when you need anything more than idle it just dies?

/ 7040 allis chalmer trany issues?????
The engine ran real good we used it to chisel plow in the spring and it worked
perfect. We unhooked the plows and backed up to the disk hooked up and put it
into gear and it didn't want to go any were. We came back a couple days later
and tried it again and it started right up and allowed us to drive it atleast a
quarter mile to the field shif out of gear and it would not allow us back into
gear it just wanted to stall out. The engine runs smothly and idels nice. When
we tried to get it back home we tried to put it into gear but wouldn't go so we
drug it home and everything els worked but the gearing. It has a auto shift
trany and every thing on it is hydraulic. I replaced all the filters and screens
because there is a hydraluic filter by the rear wheel that was vibrateing
violently and swaped filters and that stoped but it did not fix the trany issue.
We had a new clutch put in for $1600 and it didn't do anything so we decided
that it would be a good winter project for me. If there is anything els I should
know I would be greatful to hear it.

Thank you.

/ 7040 allis chalmer trany issues????? #4  
I Googled your problem and found several hits on the 7000 and 8000 series power shift transmissions. Not sure if you looked at them for help. I did see one disappointing post where a person said that repairs can cost more than what a person saw an ad for a good used one($4500) if he did ave problems. That's not too surprising because when I retired and moved to partner with my cousin on the farm on which I grew up, I asked why the 105 HP New Holland mixed in with his green tractors. He said it was because John Deere wanted $5000 to replace the clutch on his not too old, but out of warranty, tractor so he had the New Holland dealer pick it up from the John Deere dealer and bring him the equivalent New Holland. Must be nice to have inherited a large farm, be in your 60's, and never ave a family to raise. Me - after putting one through vet school - can't even get free medical advice. She says if I was a dog she would euthanize me for free.