massey ferguson 135

/ massey ferguson 135 #1  

Kzoo

Tractor
MF 135
Hi all!
Just bought a MF135 with a Perkins gas 3cyl, I am having an issue with it not wanting to rev up without cutting out and backfiring. It runs a little better with the choke about 60% closed and the carb leaks gas out the air intake side. The air filter is clean, has new plugs, and I have cleaned the entire carb off the tractor. Please give me all your best advice!

/ massey ferguson 135 #2  
Your carb needs TLC. In other words, *if* you have rebuilt a number of carbs and are comfortable doing it, rebuilt it. Other wise, I would look for a rebuilt one or send yours to a carb place to get rebuilt.

/ massey ferguson 135
Yeah I have found one rebuilt for $200, what about timing? is the a possibility?

/ massey ferguson 135 #4  
There is a TBN member "The Kid" that may be able to assist you. Perhaps you might send him a PM. Best wishes.

/ massey ferguson 135 #5  
Get the rebuild kit for that carb. Sounds like the power jet is partially clogged and the float valve isn't seating correctly. It's a one hour job.

/ massey ferguson 135 #6  
Hi all!
Just bought a MF135 with a Perkins gas 3cyl, I am having an issue with it not wanting to rev up without cutting out and backfiring. It runs a little better with the choke about 60% closed and the carb leaks gas out the air intake side. The air filter is clean, has new plugs, and I have cleaned the entire carb off the tractor. Please give me all your best advice!

You might want to check the initial timing and the advance mechanism function also.

/ massey ferguson 135 #7  
Hi all!

You very well likely may have a vacumn leak somewhere from the carb up to the cylinders...one way to check it is to start the tractor (don't use the choke if it will run at all...), take a propane torch with the nozzel attached...(.do not light it...!!)...turn on the gas and hold it near the intack manifold, if you have a vac. leak there the tractor will actually run better as it is getting enough fuel to run correctly..I know it sounds crazy, but its a tried and true way to find vac leaks on manifolds....if you don't get any change, you now know that its really in the carb...BobG in VA

/ massey ferguson 135 #8  
In addition to all the above (which, given the gas leaks, is probably more likely) you may have more than one problem.

Have you checked the condition and gap on the points?

Also, if timing is off (advanced) it will usually backfire thru the INTAKE or (retarded) thru the exhaust.

I have a Perkins 3 cylinder DIESEL in one of my tractors, but unfortunately the Perkins engine manuals are specific so no info on your engine. Wish I could be more help... Steve