John Deere Paint

/ John Deere Paint #1  

trackman71

Tractor
JD 4100
Is there a good alternative to buying the paint from John Deere for hoods, fenders etc. for my 4100?

/ John Deere Paint #2  
I dont know how good it is, but I use Rustolium John Deere green/ yellow. Seems to be a perfect match for me at least.

/ John Deere Paint #4  
I second Bwgad96 comment.

/ John Deere Paint #5  
Bwgad96 said:
I dont know how good it is, but I use Rustolium John Deere green/ yellow. Seems to be a perfect match for me at least.

It is a very good quality paint. It is designed to be waxed over. It has a automotive grade finish unlike many other equiptment paints.

/ John Deere Paint #6  
Yes, Rustoleum is good quality paint, but their JD green will become slightly "blueish" over time, especially if left in the sunlight a lot! ~~ grnspot

/ John Deere Paint #7  
I've used Valspar in a rattle can for touch ups and repairs. The green seems to work and match well. Yellow is a bit off however, not much but you'll notice if you spray it over real Deere yellow.

/ John Deere Paint #8  
I wasn't thinking properly when I posted my response. My alternative isn't something I would use for the actual tractor. Only for painting old attachments or what ever. If possible, I would buy the original john Deere paint by the quart and put in my air sprayer to paint actual tractor. Either that or the john Deere Oem rattle can from dealer. Personally I wouldn't skimp out on the actual tractor especially if doing a whole hood. Do it right the first time

/ John Deere Paint #9  
Not if you want it to look good and last.

/ John Deere Paint #10  
I used Van Sickle tractor and implement paint I got from the farm supply store. I bought it by the quart, used the Van Sickle hardner/catalyst and sprayed it through an HVLP spray gun. The hardner makes the paint a lot tougher, more chemical resistant, glossier and more resistant to fading and chaulking from sun exposure.