Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tractor
    John Deere 2640 / Ford 1710 / MTD 2554 ZERO TURN MOWER

Default Bought a Ford 4000 at auction

Had a neighbor who bought a Ford 4000 at auction last week
    Very clean looking. He drove it home about 12 miles and said it ran good climbed the hill into town in 8th gear did not smoke had plenty of power and was very happy with his purchase Saturday evening. Monday morning was a different story, he had been brush- hogging a little and using a back blade to spread dirt around and they noticed oil coming out of the muffler . It was not burning it ,the oil was just seeping out of the muffler from what I was told

Sound familiar to anyone

Thanks Bartman [img]/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Elite Member

Default Re: Bought a Ford 4000 at auction

I don't know that tractor, But I will take a wild shot and bet the oil is extremely dirty. I would find and clean the crankcase vent, (PCV), and change the oil for starters.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 4410

I suggest changing every filter and fluid in that tractor and agree with checking to make sure the crank case breather is not obstructed. At least you will have a good baseline for the maintenance.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD4310/Sync Shift/ 430 loader /toothbar

I agree too. sounds like a crankcase vent problem. The pvc valve should be pretty cheap. BTW the Ford 4000 is a great utility tractor. They run forever. I have many neighbors who have been running these literally for decades. They are hard to come by around here. No one who buys one ever sells it.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Mitsu D1550 Farmall super A

Me thinks(which is dangerous) if it's the pcv the oil will go thru the intake into the cyl.where it will burn,mostly,=smoke.Oil dripping from exh.sounds like stuck rings.Might be a good time to try Marvil Misteryoil.OVERLOOK the spelling [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Paul

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    gradall g3r excavator, kawasaki mule 2500,ford 8000,and a 1936 caterpillar road grader

sounds sorta like diesel slobber, if it ran nice for that long trip home then i would say he might have an injector problem, or just working it too lightly

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD 1050 2wd, Case 580D 2wd

I agree, sounds like slobber aka wet stacking. Go out and put it under a good load for 20 minutes or so and see what it does... if it clears up, it's fine.

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

Folks posting info about PCV systems on 30+ year old farm tractor really ought to stick to stuff they know. Taking fuzzy knowledge from automotive applications and extrapolating it to off-road equipment is risky. Put plainly, they don't know what they are talking about because a PCV system doesn't exist on a 4000. Diesel slobber, or really really bad valve guides & seals.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Yanmar 1401

I think they were just trying to be helpful. My Yanmar 1401 does the same thing. Usually after it warms up for 30min or so it stops smoking. It doesn't even smoke that bad when it does. I'm still contemplating rebuilding the engine or having someone that knows what they are doing do the work. Good luck.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Folks posting info about PCV systems on 30+ year old farm tractor really ought to stick to stuff they know. Taking fuzzy knowledge from automotive applications and extrapolating it to off-road equipment is risky. Put plainly, they don't know what they are talking about because a PCV system doesn't exist on a 4000. Diesel slobber, or really really bad valve guides &amp; seals. )</font> That was a bit brutal. Simply stating the tractor doesn't have a PCV valve and your diagnosis, would demonstrate a bit of knowledge and not your backside. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I was impressed that folks called 'em PDV instead of PVC which I have had many a customer ask to have changed during a service. It's great that everyone chips in and by finding the common ground, most people get their answers quickly. I would encourage everyone to continue to contribute, as I've learned a lot here and wish to continue...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast