Ever rebuild a remote??

/ Ever rebuild a remote?? #1  

bartman

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2640 / Ford 1710 / MTD 2554 ZERO TURN MOWER
I tore my remote completely off the frame of my JD 2640
It 's along story but I jack-knifed my disk trying to get unstuck from a field that I should not have been in

The remote itself is OK but the ears that the bolts go through to attach it to the tractor frame are broken off. I think it is cast iron which can be brazed but the welder guy was afraid the heat would damage the o-rings and seals insde

I figured if I would take it all part so he could braze it I would change all the seals /o-rings for $13 The remote is in MD and my JD 2640 service manual is in PA

1. How difficult are these remotes to disassemble completely?

2. Do you think brazing would hurt the remote if I did not disassemble it?

Thanks
Bartman

/ Ever rebuild a remote?? #2  
Brazing shouldn't hurt it if you get the o-rings out. It won't be quite as strong as it was but shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't try the disc leveraging act again /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif . I wouldn't do any arc welding on it and you need to let it cool naturally once the brazing is done (don't dunk it in water to cool it) to prevent uneven cooling and possibly warping some components.

/ Ever rebuild a remote?? #3  
Assuming you still have the broken off ears, you might try JB Weld. I have had good luck with it, I prefer JB Kwik, on cast iron. the porous metal makes a real good bonding surface.

/ Ever rebuild a remote??
Norm
Thanks for the advice on the JB Weld ,I have used it before but it slipped my mind for this screw up.. Question?????

I still do have the ears
If I use JB Weld and it doesn't hold , am I screwed?
Can you braze over a JB Weld glob?

Bartman /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Ever rebuild a remote?? #5  
"If I use JB Weld and it doesn't hold , am I screwed?"

I thought about that after I posted. I'm pretty sure a torch would burn off any residue if you had to eventually braze it, or worst case, you could grind it off to a clean surface and braze. I think it's worth a try. Glue it up, clamp it and then build up the area for more support wherever you can. The JB Kwik will set up in 5-10 minutes, but I would let it set overnight before bolting on.