twisting off grade 8 bolts

/ twisting off grade 8 bolts
i did get the studs out relatively easy with an easy out. BUT when i took the over torque bolts out this mornin 2 of the holes spauld. After cleaning with brake cleaner and a match , one of the knives went good and i think i may have damaged the other, the 2 spauld holes didnt torque . I did retap with the same thread to clean out the stripped thread wire from the old bolts. i dont think i wanna use it not feeling confident with that knife stayin put. guess no education is free

ps i did check the torque spec and it does say 165 ftlbs

/ twisting off grade 8 bolts #22  
If Wallenstein specifies 165ft/lb for a 1/2"-20 grade 8 bolt and you damaged your chipper knives applying that torque to those bolts, Wallenstein owes you a new set of knives.

Last edited:
   / twisting off grade 8 bolts #23  
Are the knives threaded or is the flywheel/rotor threaded or is it bolt and nut connection between holding knife to rotor.

/ twisting off grade 8 bolts
the knives are threaded
bx60

/ twisting off grade 8 bolts #26  
If Wallenstein specifies 165ft/lb for a 1/2"-20 grade 8 bolt and you damaged your chipper knives applying that torque to those bolts, Wallenstein owes you a new set of knives.

yeh, if that is in the manual.. sure sounds like a typo... should be 5/8 for that level...

/ twisting off grade 8 bolts #27  
I have a few Wallenstein attachments and here is a copy of the torque specs page from one of them. I assume they use this same page in all their manuals.

wallenstein p67- torque specs.jpg

/ twisting off grade 8 bolts #28  
you weren't reading newton meters were you?

/ twisting off grade 8 bolts #29  
It sounds like the bolts were over-torqued, but if by chance anyone finds counterfit grade eight bolts anywhere, it should be reported to the authorities as it's an accident waiting to happen. Sooner or later someone will get seriously hurt or die.

/ twisting off grade 8 bolts #30  
This thread has kept me interested so when I got back I searched for a BX60 manual online.
Never found it but did find a BX62 manual and parts manual. The BX62 IPL calls for a 1/2NFx7/8" Gr 8 where the OP says it is a 1/2 NFx1" Gr 8 for the BX 60.
The BX62 manual states 165 ft lbs for 9/16" bolts but 115 ft lbs for 1/2 " bolts. (Grade 8)
Is the BX62 newer or older than the BX60?