TC40D runs fine, loader works but will not drive

/ TC40D runs fine, loader works but will not drive #1  

markey02

Tractor
2001 New Holland TC40D
I have a NH TC40D, starts fine, FEL& rear Hydro works fine. Press forward or reverse pedal and nothing. Did a quick look under and did not see anything not connected and everything appears to move when pedal pressed. Any suggestions? I have not really started into it yet (busy on other project). Something as simple as a fuse for the hydro trans? Any help would be great! Thanks.

/ TC40D runs fine, loader works but will not drive #2  
You need to read this thread from back in 2001. Your problem sounds like the shaft from your pedals is broken where it goes into the transmission. It's hard to see without knowing exactly where to look. Many of the early tractors were poorly made and have failed. I fixed my own tractor with the help of my dealer, but I don't recommend that you do that. It's a big job and requires lifting the operator platform.

/ TC40D runs fine, loader works but will not drive
Thank you jinman for the quick response. Sounds exactly what happened to mine, I was just driving in a field, no loader work at that time. I will not get a chance to look at it until this weekend. If that is my problem, I'll probably fix it myself as I like to make things as difficult as possible. That and a dealer repair bill is not in the budget (just got horses and extended the pole barn for stalls). If I take the operator platform off, any recommendations on improvements, additions or modifications while the platform is off?

/ TC40D runs fine, loader works but will not drive #4  
The problem with this job, is it requires removing a bunch of stuff that has nothing to do with the problem before you can remove that broken "B" shaped plate. You have to first remove the cowling under the steering wheel. Next, you have to raise the platform. To do that you have to unbolt it all up under the fenders, but you can't do that until you take off the side consoles and levers. Next, you have to lift the rubber mat, but it completely surrounds the hard metal hydraulic lines going to the joystick. I cut mine under the joystick cowling so it would not require removal of the lines. Also, you have to remove the seat because there is an access port under it to disconnect the 3PH drop rate knob. Oh yes, the toolbox also has to come off. Once you get the platform raised, you find the forward platform support is behind the loader post. You have to loosen the right loader post to remove the broken plate and shaft. You may be able to get the broken one out, but the fixed plate needs more room to install.

You'll be doing all of this on your own and not have techniques dealer's service departments have developed to make this a speedy job. If I were you, I'd at least get an estimate from my dealer so I'd know how much money I'm saving. Just remember, this is a relatively simple part and not complex in it's repair. It's just very involved with lots of disassembly/assembly. You could easily screw something up that would cost lots more money that a few hundred dollars at the dealership.

If that is my problem, I'll be contacting the local dealer to find out what they have to say the cost will be. Excellent advise!

/ TC40D runs fine, loader works but will not drive #6  
Since I'm a fabricator at heart, I take a slightly different view. If this were my tractor, I would be looking at the possibility of cutting an access in the platform that would allow the repair, and then be reattached. This may be done by adding some strategically located tabs, whether by welding, nuts and bolts, metal screws and J nuts, or other technique of your choosing. I've never been a great fan of tractors having to be covered in plastic and sheet metal to begin with, and having to dismantle two thirds of a tractor to access a componant that's on the outside seems to me like a total "engineering" failure.

Quick Update - Got her back from the dealer, all better now; cost me $600 (10 hours). Thank you for the advice, glad I did not tackle this myself. I did ask the dealer about cutting the floor to access the parts, he looked at it and told me that he was not comfortable as he would have to cut a main support bracket for the floor and some of the lines were a bit close. This dealer is also a fabricator.

/ TC40D runs fine, loader works but will not drive #8  
Quick Update - Got her back from the dealer, all better now; cost me $600 (10 hours).

Ouch! That's a lot to pay for New Holland's less-than-acceptable part. It's really too bad that this did not fail during warranty. Even at $600, if I had to do mine again, I'd let the dealer do it. I think you made the best decision and now you should never see problems with this again.:thumbsup: