throttle body on gmc 5.3l clenaing similar concept to others?

/ throttle body on gmc 5.3l clenaing similar concept to others? #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
I know on an old for tbird I had ( 87 model ).. I once in a while had to pull the air duct off and clean the throttle body when it would idle rough or start / stall.

later on I've had to do it on an old 98 dodge 5.9 I had.

wifes 2000 yukon started doing it 2 days ago.

can i assume it's about the same deal.. orientation just different.. etc.

Does it have an idle air control or similar?

any tips from someone who may have done this to correct the situation?

thanks

soundguy

/ throttle body on gmc 5.3l clenaing similar concept to others?
ok.. so nobody's ever cleaned a tb on a gm 5.3 no problem.

anyone even had one apart to give me some pointers.

does it hade any sort of idle air control solenoid or servo.. or similar ports // sensors I need to look at.. other ports to clean?

thanks

/ throttle body on gmc 5.3l clenaing similar concept to others? #3  
Not a chevy guy but know my way around the older fuel injected fords. That chevy should indeed have a iac if its fuel injected. Should be the only thing connected to the throttle body throat. Undue the screws and remove it and clean it with brake cleaner and an old toothbrush. If your having idle issues, even after cleaning the iac, Could be the iac is just bad altogether and possible the throttle position sensor located on thttrle shaft. Like i said, though, im a ford engine guy so just trying to offer whatever i can in possible similar setup. I have also used seafoam to do a good thorough cleaning. check out youtube for that. pretty wicked smoke show

yep.. I've cleaned dodge and ford throttle bodies. similar concepts.. just double checking if there was anything I needed to watch out as a gotcha on that gm 5.3 ( year 2000 ) before i pulle dhte air cleaner housing off the throat.

it's acting just like my fords and dodges have when the tb / iac became dirty.

/ throttle body on gmc 5.3l clenaing similar concept to others? #5  
The safest way to probably clean a TB it is with a wire brush. CRC makes a throttle body cleaner if you want to use it. You have to be careful what you use because some (like Ford) have a special coating and carb or brake cleaners can remove it. If you want to clean the IAC remove it and use a little gum cutter and let it dry before installing. Hopefully that will fix it but you may have something else going on.

got home from work last night.. wife was already sleeping.. and I wasn't tired.

I had picked up some choke pltae/throttle body cleaner.. got the rags and gloves out.. pulled air cleaner off.. cleaned screens at rear near MAF and body of air cleaner . throttle body was sure enough dirty.. flapper plate had a buildup on it on the backside like you would not believe. the lil air hole? in the flapper was almost closed, and there was a good ridge of mung behind it where it seated.. making it a hair sticky

innards appeared to be unfinished polised cast aluminum with no coating.. ( well.. no coating other than carbon and ?? ).

celaned the passageways real good.. including the area for the tps / shaft, and another sensor solenoid.. which.. if i was a betting man was the IAC.. looks a lil different than on my dodge.. but i think it was it.

cleaned and reseated the elec connections.. etc.

dumped in some mechanic in a can ( inj cleaner ) into the gas.

wiped everything down real good again and put back together.

hit the key.. gave a half rev of shudder as every other one i have cleaned did.. then went back to i'd say 95% of normal idle.. unlike previous to that when i think she may be greeting ready to stall. ( wife only told me about the issue 2 days ago... or i'd have fixed it sooner ).

i hopped int he truck and took a drive around the neighborhood, then out onto the hiway and opened her up for a few miles up and back, WOT.. seemed fine.. no hesitation.. came home.. stopepd.. started fine. got 1 time with a hair of hesitation.. started again.. fine.

this am.. started her up to warm up for the wife.. sounded normal.

she needed her keys back to get something out of a closet, and when she left i listened for the start and it was fine again.

i don't know if the ecu will automatically clear the CE light after X number of normal starts.. or if i need to put the scanner on it and clear it.. but by then was getting tired last night.. so didn't think about it.

in any case.. seems to have sloved the issure.

wasn't as easy to clean as the one on my old dodge.. but was similar enough..

thanks for the tips guys.

/ throttle body on gmc 5.3l clenaing similar concept to others? #7  
Put your scanner on and see what codes you have.

/ throttle body on gmc 5.3l clenaing similar concept to others? #8  
You did good, a baby bottle brush works good, I would not use a wire brush as was mentioned. The CRC cleaner was the right choice. The IAC is on the throtle plate housing. It works best to run engine and spray the cleaner in the IAC opening in the throtle bore, turn off or let it stall, scrub with baby botle brush let set ten min and repeat, run and spray.
Take for a drive and warm up, then disconnect battery for 10 min. to clear the PCM memory, This will reset the adaptive strategy, the PCM will relearn after driving normal.

Dave

/ throttle body on gmc 5.3l clenaing similar concept to others? #9  
Most definitely don't use a wire brush! It will remove the coating. I use a soft plastic brush, like an M16 cleaning brush and throttle body cleaner. FYI when I worked for a GM dealer there was a lot of those that came in because of poor idle and starting. The gunk had caused a ridge to develop and the butterfly wouldn't close completely at idle and start, therefore the air mixture was off. They would counter by adjusting the throttle plate to stop in a different position but then there is a little hole in the butterfly plate that was either plugged by a screw or you had to take a screw out, can't remember which.

Anyway, I'm sure you could google for TSB's or go to a chevy forum.

no wire brush used.

used choke and throttle cleaner ( actually said that.. not carb cleaner ).

uses a plastic brush and a no dust/lint free fine shop rag.

improvement was immediate and as i said.. 90-95% immediatly after starting.

I'll check for codes when the wife gets home. am sure it will be associated with the dirty TB issue.

will clearing the codes via scanner be the same as disconnecting the battery?