Tractor
    Ford 1920

Default Clutch to PTO won't allow it to go into gear

I have a Ford model 1920 tractor that has developed a problem I would like some help with. I was in a wooded area clearing some brush (cutting w/ chainsaw, using the tractor to haul it out). As I was driving out, a branch/small shrub got underneath and hit something on the underside of the carriage.

I can drive the tractor just fine - including changing both the low and high gears.

But I can no longer engage the PTO - I push the clutch in, but when I pull on the lever, it just "grinds". I can engage the PTO with the tractor off, but then (of course), it won't start with the PTO engaged.

What is worse - I'm not sure what it is supposed to look like. As in, if there is some sort of connecting rod that is now missing, I wouldn't know. Advice on what I should be looking at?
    --
    Chris Barnes

Tractor
    mt372

Default Re: Clutch to PTO won't allow it to go into gear

I can't help you with your problem, but you gave me a great idea. i'm going to take a lot of pictures of my tractor.
    Green Earth. If you're not part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    '69 MF 135

I know knowing about the particular model, but it sounds like yours is a live pto with a 2 stage clutch. If you can still operate the clutch to shift the linkage should be alright. The clutch should not be exposed in any way.

The second stage that separates the pto shaft, requires a specific spacing/setting that could have possibly shifted. Not sure how hard you really hit it but certainly not hard enough to break the clutch.

On old Massey fergusons there is a plate below the clutch that give a access and the adjustment of the second stage can be done through the access port.

Tractor
    Ford 1920

I fixed it - but I'm not sure how.

Basically I shifted the PTO on and off with the tractor off several times. The next time I started the tractor, I was able to push the clutch foot pedal in, and engage the PTO. ???
    --
    Chris Barnes

Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Quote Originally Posted by TxFig View Post
    I fixed it - but I'm not sure how.
    Your Ford 1920 must have come with the "heal yourself" option.

I think you need to do a clutch adjustment. Your clutch is a two-stage clutch. If your pedal has more than about 3/4" of free play when released, it needs adjustment. This problem with the PTO is just a sign of things to come that will probably get worse. If you don't want to spend the big dollars for an official shop manual on your tractor, look for an I&T shop manual for the 1920. They don't have a lot of additional info, but that manual will show you how to do your clutch adjustment. Actually, it is pretty straight forward. Look at the rod attached to the clutch pedal. That rod has an adjustable clevis for changing its length. That's the clutch pedal adjustment you need to make.
    Jim