"Gear" Instrument Light, whats it all about??

/ "Gear" Instrument Light, whats it all about?? #1  

Anonymous Poster

\"Gear\" Instrument Light, whats it all about??

I have a Shibaura D23F (grey) that I bought about a month ago. I have put quite a number of ours on it in the first few weeks. Last weekend, I checked the hydraulic/trans oil level (had to find it first). Level was OK, but figured I'd do it a favor by topping it off. I picked up fluid from my local Cenex, it is labeled as Quicklift HTB, universal transmission hydraulic oil, and according to the lable should mix with factory oils. The dealer had changed the oil before I bought the rig. Took maybe 1-2 quarts, probably wasnt needed. Noticed that the fluid was green (looked like a dye or tint), didn't think much of it.

Next day, I fire up the rig, and start moving a couple of truckloads of gravel with the fel. After maybe 1/2 hour of operation, a "gear" indicator light (gear shaped) comes on on the IP, I assume this is for the transmission. It started coming on any time the engine RPM was above about 1600. I shut the rig down, and check the trans oil level again. Oil on the dipstick doesn't look right, kind of "milky". I pulled the drain plug, oil that drained was nasty looking, looked like engine oil with water in in. I'm wondering if there is a comatability problem with the 2 fluids.

I went to my local NAPA, bought 10 gallons of their Premium Universal Tractor Fluid (Hytrans). Filled the case, things seemed fine, I ran her for about 45 minutes, no light, thinking things are good. That was last Sunday.

Today (Saturday) I fired up the rig and went to move some more gravel. After about 1/2 hour the light is on again, when engine rpm is above about 1600. Oil on the dipstick looks fine to me, both color and level.

Questions:

1) What is the "gear" light telling me? Is this temperature, low fluid level, or something else. Everything is in Japanese.

2) Dealer had used Havoline fluid I believe (need to call him). He did indicate it was just a hy-trans fluid, not ATF. Any possibility of a compatability problem?

3) What have I done to my baby??? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated. Posting on oils and grey forum as well.

Brian

/ "Gear" Instrument Light, whats it all about?? #2  
Re: \"Gear\" Instrument Light, whats it all about??

In the standardized symbols section of my NH owner's manual there is three different "gear" symbols. One is a gear with a wide upside down "U" over it, that's the PTO symbol. The second is a gear with an oil drop in the middle and a thermometer behind it for rear trans temp and the third is a gear with an oil drop in the middle and an arrow on each outside of the gear pointing to the middle, that's trans oil pressure. HTH

/ "Gear" Instrument Light, whats it all about??

thanks bgott

This indicator has the gear, with a solid drop over a line and a "unfilled" drop. On the pressure one, is this for low pressure, or high? If low I could see it going on if fluid was low. I have trouble believing this is temp related, in that the transmission is still cool, or barely warm, when it happens, but still, it doesnt do so when first started, only after about 1/2 hour of running. Wondering if its as simple as a bad sending unit, and the fluid issue was coincidence.

/ "Gear" Instrument Light, whats it all about?? #4  

It just says pressure. I would presume it comes on with low pressure. It might be a water- in- oil indicator.

/ "Gear" Instrument Light, whats it all about??

"It might be a water- in- oil indicator"-thats one of the things I was wondering about, if there was a problem with the Cenex fluid. I'm thinking the foil seal on the container might have been broken, but I'm just not sure. I would have thought changing the fluid would have addressed that, but there is some fluid in the cylinders that would not have drained.

I know they make water absorbers in bags that can be put in fuel tanks, I used to use one in my snowmobile. I wonder if I could find one and hang it in the trans, to absorb any moisture there. Changing oil is getting expensive, if that is not the problem.

If it wasn't the fluid how else would water get in there? Is there a cooler in the radiator, like an automotive trans cooler? Only other way would have been when I washed it, but doesnt seem likely.

Heck, I don't know.

/ "Gear" Instrument Light, whats it all about?? #6  

I assume your tractor has a rubber boot on the shift lever. If it is not in good shape, no tears or cracks, you will get water in the tranny, either from washing or rain, if left outside.