7.3psd fuel filter orings WTF?

/ 7.3psd fuel filter orings WTF? #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
repalced the fuel filter in the f350 the other day.. made sure I had the triangular oring flat down, pointy up.. tightened all it would go including stripping out the chincy molded in place for a 1/2" socket ( really? why so thin there? )

anyway.. looked good.. no drips.. no seeping... wiped with a rag several times to check. amde many stop / starts over the last few days....e tc. ran good till lunch today. heading down the road.. suddenly smelled diesel.. looked back saw a lil smoke trailing me.. luckilly i was passing by work.. pulled in diesel was dumping at a good rate.. popped hood.. oring blew out :( ( napa gold filter.. new lid. new oring.. etc.. )

I always save stuff, so had the old oring in a ziplock.. tried that.. it blew out immediatly.

looked at the screw on lid. noticed some cutting / bur on the plastic threads.. like a casting deformity.. looked at the threads in the aluminum housing.. they looked good. looked at the old cap ( yes.. saved ).. threads were fine.

cleaned up the new cap with a razor blade and grabbed the oring off a 2nd filter I had planned to use to service my 450 this weekend. put on with the new oring

could feel the 'catch I felt before when screwind down.. initially had thought I was feeling resistance of oring seating.. but now that I cleaned the thread.. I got another good turn out of it. no leaks so far.. drove home fine. after dumping some simple green in the engine valley and hosing the pool of diesel out.. :( and then shoveling up about a 5g tub of kitty litter off the concrete...

got home and hit the now rust-proofed engien compartment with some spray foam degreaser.. followed up by a 40% strength soloution of purple stuff..being carefull to stay off the alternator.. etc..

hosed it down.. then gave the truck a sudsy bath.

truck still smells like a interstate filling station.......

was heading out of town tomorrow.. but am hesitant to take that truck till i know the oring is staying put. last time it held a few days.. but I believe now the cap wasnt seated like it could have been due to that casting flaw in the new cap.

need to look over that other filter now.. mind you it's missing an oring.. and I doubt napa sells that.. GRRRRR

anyone have this issue with those orings?

called my mechaninc and he said that i wasn't the first customer of his that had a problem getting them to seal... ?

/ 7.3psd fuel filter orings WTF? #2  
Same exact trouble her on a 99 super duty filter from advance. A o ring would be better. Sure makes a mess.Seems the fuel expands the v shaped o ring.

/ 7.3psd fuel filter orings WTF?
yeah.. why not a round or flat face ring? sems the triangle ring is a weird issue?

/ 7.3psd fuel filter orings WTF? #4  
I buy the fuel filters for my 7.3 directly from International and replace them every 15K. Much better and cheaper than from the dealer or NAPA. Having said that, and of course these trucks are a minimum of ten years old, the last one I replaced (about the 10th one) did the exact same as yours. Had the dealer replace it this time, and they steam cleaned the engine compartment no charge. Maybe some of the pollution control additives are eating the rings....Regards, Mike

/ 7.3psd fuel filter orings WTF?
hmm.. maybee chincy orings.. and chincy casting ont he caps.. or both.

leaves me feeling steamed.

truck stinks now.. :(