Noob information quest

/ Noob information quest #1  

S Putnik

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM336D
Hi all,

I'm just in the middle of buying my first tractor. It's a grey market Kumiai ST1440.

I understand that this is a Mitsubishi, but that doesn't seem to make finding info any easier. I've emailed Satohparts.com. While I await a response, I'd like to find out what the Tractorbynet community knows.

Specifically, I'm looking for user and service manuals, plus part numbers and dealers for filters and wear parts.

I sincerely appreciate any info anyone can offer.

Kind regards,

Chris

/ Noob information quest #2  
Is it a 3 cylinder? There is a Satoh/Mitsubishi forum on this site. Look for Len Shaefer. He is a parts dealer like satohparts. Can you post a picture of the tractor? And welcome to TBN!

/ Noob information quest
Hi,

Yes, it's a 3-cylinder. I'll investigate the 'Bishi forum and Len Shaefer.

She's kinda fugly, but runs great.

Thanks for the info!

Chris

2012-11-03 15.55.29.jpg2012-11-03 15.55.54.jpg

/ Noob information quest #4  
OK, you are looking at the equivalent of a S-373 Beaver or S-470 Buck. The Beaver has the K3A engine with 15.5 hp. Buck has K3B engine with 18.5 hp. (at the engine) Good tractor and parts are available but some have found the parts to be expensive. If and when you need things like starter, radiator, water pump etc., take the part to a rebuilder or parts store.

/ Noob information quest #5  
That is basically a Satoh badged Mitsubishi D1450FD and is the gray market version of the U S model S373D Satoh. Parts availability will be the same as for those two machines. Very well built and durable by all accounts. Looks like a Coldwater loader so I assume that is who is selling it...good reputation there too.

/ Noob information quest
Great info, all around.

Many thanks!

Interesting tidbit about the horsepower. I was under the impression that it is a 17Hp machine.

/ Noob information quest #7  
My ST1440 has a smaller diameter, 18 spline PTO output shaft that rotates clockwise. I use it exclusively with its natively mounted tiller now, so the PTO shaft troubles others suffer has no impact on me, but it can be difficult to find the spline adapter to power normal PTO implements.

The loader on that machine is almost certainly from Coldwater Tractors, a manufacturer in Washington of backhoes and loaders for grey market and other compact machines. They have a reputation as simple but functional and durable units. Be careful using it without ample weight on the three point hitch.

My unit feels comparable to my 14 horsepower Yanmar 1401D. I really like mine. With the glowplugs heated it fires right up, and is smoother and runs more quietly than the Yanmar, though it seems to have slightly less torque. The rest of the tractor is well built and user friendly in my view. That particular machine looks to have led a tough life, at best, but they are, generally speaking, a very high quality unit.

Good luck. Post a review for us, I'm interested to hear how you compare them.

/ Noob information quest
Thanks 284.

In the end I didn't buy the Mitsubishi. Since this thread seemed dead, I didn't bother to update or delete it.

You are correct in that the tractor was from Coldwater. Ray is a good guy. He works hard to give people a good value.

I would have prefered a Yanmar for ease of parts sourcing, but wound up with a little beast of a Shibaura.