Power steering pump

/ Power steering pump #1  

Fishincoach

Tractor
John Deer 850
I looked at a John Deere 5310 this evening. It appears all the joints on the power steering pump are leaking oil. The steering did not work until more hydrolic oil was added to the tractor. The oil was not pouring out but leaked out both ends and in the middle. Has anyone seen this before on the John Deere 5000 series tractors? If so, can the seals be replace or is a new pump needed? Any idea of cost? Does this problem signal possible other problems with the hydrolic system. The 3pt lift worked, brakes good. Thanks for helping a rookie with all the questions.

/ Power steering pump
Well the shopping is over, bought the John Deere 5310 and ordered a new hydraulic pump. Now, I plan on changing the hydraulic oil and filter, cleaning the screen in the rear of the tractor, replacing the pump, what I cannot find is the transmission/ hydraulic suction line screen. The book shows one but it is not on the line that I see. Help.

/ Power steering pump
No help here with the hydraulic suction screen? Crazy, I have not had time to pull the maintenance on the tractor yet, but decided to crank her up and fool with the lift to see again how it worked. The lift worked but kind of slow and drops at the bottom about 6 inches. Out of the blue I tried the steering and low and behold the steering works like a charm. The pump is still leaking around the seams. Any ideas?

/ Power steering pump
Problem solved. I installed a new main hydraulic pump and the steering is fixed. The lift still seems to be slow and when you hold the lift all the way up the hydraulic system seems noisy or like it is under strain. Any ideas?

/ Power steering pump #5  
i will suggest getting a service manual, it doesn't look like many people here know much about these tractors. Wish i could help...

/ Power steering pump #6  
Have John Deere 5310 with a KD 2000 front lift. The lift does not operate up or down and power steering is not working either. Hydralic fluid is milky. Need suggestions.

/ Power steering pump
My problem is resolved, but don't make the mistake I made. I first bought an aftermarket pump and installed it myself. Worked great for about a year and then went out again. I bought a John Deere pump and installed it and the tractor has been working great every since. I also changed the hydraulic oil because using the bad pump ruined the oil again. I think it has been 2 years with the John Deere pump working as it should.

/ Power steering pump #8  
Have John Deere 5310 with a KD 2000 front lift. The lift does not operate up or down and power steering is not working either. Hydralic fluid is milky. Need suggestions.

That is a clear indication of water contamination. Replace the filters and all the oil, you are lucky you live in a southern climate or it would be turning to ice, but you still need to get it out of there or it will promote rust. The water doesn't pass through the treated paper layer in your oil filters like it should and actually destroys it, that's why you have no hydraulics.

/ Power steering pump
Good idea to try changing the oil and filters first. Then if it does not work get the pump.