Tractor
    John Deer 850

Default Power steering pump

I looked at a John deere 5310 this evening. It appears all the joints on the power steering pump are leaking oil. The steering did not work until more hydrolic oil was added to the tractor. The oil was not pouring out but leaked out both ends and in the middle. Has anyone seen this before on the John Deere 5000 series tractors? If so, can the seals be replace or is a new pump needed? Any idea of cost? Does this problem signal possible other problems with the hydrolic system. The 3pt lift worked, brakes good. Thanks for helping a rookie with all the questions.

Tractor
    John Deer 850

Default Re: Power steering pump

Well the shopping is over, bought the John deere 5310 and ordered a new hydraulic pump. Now, I plan on changing the hydraulic oil and filter, cleaning the screen in the rear of the tractor, replacing the pump, what I cannot find is the transmission/ hydraulic suction line screen. The book shows one but it is not on the line that I see. Help.

Tractor
    John Deer 850

No help here with the hydraulic suction screen? Crazy, I have not had time to pull the maintenance on the tractor yet, but decided to crank her up and fool with the lift to see again how it worked. The lift worked but kind of slow and drops at the bottom about 6 inches. Out of the blue I tried the steering and low and behold the steering works like a charm. The pump is still leaking around the seams. Any ideas?

Tractor
    John Deer 850

Problem solved. I installed a new main hydraulic pump and the steering is fixed. The lift still seems to be slow and when you hold the lift all the way up the hydraulic system seems noisy or like it is under strain. Any ideas?

Tractor
    John Deere 4600HST

i will suggest getting a service manual, it doesn't look like many people here know much about these tractors. Wish i could help...