Lift Arm Ball Modification

/ Lift Arm Ball Modification #1  

Native87

Tractor
1046 C.C
Is it possible to drill/ream a cat 0 lift to a cat 1 instead of switching out all the implement pins or lift ball

/ Lift Arm Ball Modification #2  
I would think it would be hard to keep the ball from spinning while trying to drill it out.You might be able to use a die grinder with a carbide tip on it.It might not spin as much that way.Other than that I would say to buy the weld-on ball ends and just replace the whole thing.

/ Lift Arm Ball Modification #3  
You wont be able to drill that ball, it is hardened steel. Either change the lift pins or if you want to modify the arms, cut off the ends, buy new Cat1 ends and weld them on. If you are not a good welder, take the lift arms to a good welding shop for this to be done. It needs to be a good solid full penetration weld on this with a 7018 electrode. There was a discussion here recently about a NH tractor that had a pinned in ball that could be replaced by removing the pin and rotating the ball. I personally have never seen a tractor with a replaceable ball like that, might be a NH thing.

/ Lift Arm Ball Modification #4  
Since your welding, you could change to quick hitch ends!!!!

/ Lift Arm Ball Modification #5  
Possible, yes.
Practical, no.

Pins are under $6 each at Tractor Supply.

Further, a cat 0 lift arm means the tractor should be matched with cat 0 equipment.

Putting a cat 1 implement on it means the implement is heavier than the tractor should lift and/or require more horsepower and traction than a cat 0 tractor can provide. There may be a few implements, a lift boom comes to mind, which might be successfully used by a cat 0 tractor, but not many.

I see you are rather new to TBN, so :welcome:

If you want to list the cat 1 implements you have and want to convert, am sure that TBN members can offer advice regarding the success of operating than equipment with your cat 0 tractor.

/ Lift Arm Ball Modification #6  
There was a discussion here recently about a NH tractor that had a pinned in ball that could be replaced by removing the pin and rotating the ball. I personally have never seen a tractor with a replaceable ball like that, might be a NH thing.

Ford and New Holland have used interchangable balls on many models for years. Some models use a spring type ball retainer where you simply rotate the ball in the socket to a certain point and apply pressure to the spring and push the ball out.

/ Lift Arm Ball Modification
Its a satoh beaver 15 horse 4x4. The implements are a small single bottom plow and 4 foot disc. The plow has one side made that is cat1 and I can't switch that part out like the other pins. Thanks for talks help.

/ Lift Arm Ball Modification #8  
#1 - Is the ball big enuf to afford a larger hole and still give appropriate swivel with the larger pin?
#2 - Do the larger implement sizes mentioned mess up foreseen benefits?
#3 - Is is soft enuf to cut with carbide -- almost definitely:), but the harder the more critical the proper setup is.

... An obsessed grinder operator could do it in a rough fashion [regardless of hardness] by loctiting the ball in place and breaking it loose with heat and leverage after completion. OTOH for drilling, at the very least you will need a specially sharpened masonry bit and a solid slow turning drill press. At most you will need a machine shop with rigid tooling and setup.
larry

/ Lift Arm Ball Modification
Yes. The ball is plenty big enough to allow enlargement. Thanks again.