FEL bucket won't stay up John Deere 410

/ FEL bucket won't stay up John Deere 410 #1  

rsmith02184

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 4100
My bucket won't stop falling forward. The bucket slowly drops forward until it is completely in the dump position. I hear a small hydraulic sound when I put my ear to the cylinder. I suspect it is a leak at the svc. Any ideas how to test it? Any ideas how to fix it?
Thanks

/ FEL bucket won't stay up John Deere 410 #2  
It could be the cyl seals or a valve spool.

If you remove one hose from a cyl and apply fluid to the other end, check for fluid coming out the open end.

/ FEL bucket won't stay up John Deere 410 #3  
How long does it take?
Most of the time, its the cylinders that need to be rebuilt. Kits are about $30 each and you should always do it in pairs. It is a fairly simple job.

/ FEL bucket won't stay up John Deere 410
It could be the cyl seals or a valve spool.

If you remove one hose from a cyl and apply fluid to the other end, check for fluid coming out the open end.

Can you explain this procedure? Where do I remove a hose? How do I apply fluid to the other end?

sorry, I am only a little familiar with these hydraulic systems.

thanks

/ FEL bucket won't stay up John Deere 410
it takes about 20 seconds to tilt forward all the way so that it is hanging down completely.

why do you ask about the time?

I wonder if there is a way to test this to see if it is the svc or the cylinder.......

thanks

/ FEL bucket won't stay up John Deere 410 #6  
it takes about 20 seconds to tilt forward all the way so that it is hanging down completely.

why do you ask about the time?

I wonder if there is a way to test this to see if it is the svc or the cylinder.......

thanks

I asked because JD has a published spec on leakdown rates, your is well above the limits. The SCV is not rebuildable, re-sealing the cylinders will be your best option.

/ FEL bucket won't stay up John Deere 410 #7  

thanks

Yes there are a couple of different ways to check for SCV or cylinder leaking.

1) lower the bucket to ground and disconnect both QD's (Quick Disconnects for the curl/dump function. Raise the FEL in the air and wait. Does the bucket still dump. If yes your cylinder seals are bad and need to be replaced.

2) Do like JJ said: with bucket fully dumped disconnect the QD for the rod end of the cylinder. Remove the QD end from the hose and place the hose in a bucket. Now try to hydraulically dump the bucket using the SCV. If oil comes out of the hose your seals are bad on the cylinders.

3) Lower the FEL to ground and swap the hoses from lift /lower to the curl / dump and vice versa. Now raise the FEL. Does the bucket still dump? Does the FEL drift down? If the bucket dumps would suspect bad seals on your cylinders. If the FEL drifts down and bucket does NOT dump I would suspect your valve is leaking.