1950 Massey Ferguson TO-20 Starter.. Can it be rebuilt?

/ 1950 Massey Ferguson TO-20 Starter.. Can it be rebuilt? #1  
Tractor
1950 Ferguson TO20
Hello,

I have a 1950 Massey Ferguson TO-20 that just quit out on me today.
Left the key on over night and next morning it would not roll over.
Seems the terminal heats up right away when I try to crank it.
The solenoid and resistor are also heating up considerably.

I replaced the solenoid with one purchased at tractor supply
(This was a 6v universal solenoid)
Also replaced the resistor.

Battery still shows 100% on the charger meter.

Still same result.

We figure because the heat is happening in the new parts as well
the short must be in the starter which is refusing to make a single noise.
I am going to get it off there and look further into it.

I was looking online and cheapest starters are rebuilt and $200 - $250
I was wondering if anyone out there knows if I'm headed in the right direction?
Is it possible to fix the starter rather than buying?
How involved is the process... is there a step by step online as to how to go about it?

Thank you all!
PJ

/ 1950 Massey Ferguson TO-20 Starter.. Can it be rebuilt? #2  
If you have a starter/generator automotive technician in town he could probably rebuild it for $60. The commutator might be a little rusty. I have never rebuild one but have been told if you don't have the correct tools and pullers for it just bring it to a professional.

/ 1950 Massey Ferguson TO-20 Starter.. Can it be rebuilt? #3  
Hello,

I have a 1950 Massey Ferguson TO-20 that just quit out on me today.
Left the key on over night and next morning it would not roll over.
Seems the terminal heats up right away when I try to crank it.
The solenoid and resistor are also heating up considerably.

I replaced the solenoid with one purchased at tractor supply
(This was a 6v universal solenoid)
Also replaced the resistor.

Battery still shows 100% on the charger meter.

Still same result.

We figure because the heat is happening in the new parts as well
the short must be in the starter which is refusing to make a single noise.
I am going to get it off there and look further into it.

I was looking online and cheapest starters are rebuilt and $200 - $250
I was wondering if anyone out there knows if I'm headed in the right direction?
Is it possible to fix the starter rather than buying?
How involved is the process... is there a step by step online as to how to go about it?

Thank you all!
PJ

Since you have a 6V, I assume it's has the OEM positive ground. You should not have a resistor in the primary ignition system in this case. Do you really have a solenoid instead of the OEM ransmission lever actuated starter switch?

To check the starter function, MAKE SURE THE TRACTOR IS NOT IN GEAR, and using jumpers, clamp the positive to the starter retention bolt and the other end to the (+) battery connection, hook the negaive lead to the battery(-) post and just touch the other end to the starter connection. If the starter turns the engine, it's ok. If the starter makes a whiring noise, the starter is ok but the starter drive has failed. If nothing happens, the starter is bad.

/ 1950 Massey Ferguson TO-20 Starter.. Can it be rebuilt? #4  
G'day if the terminal is heating up straight away then I would start by making sure ALL your connections are clean and tight

Jon

/ 1950 Massey Ferguson TO-20 Starter.. Can it be rebuilt? #5  
read jerry/mt's post carefully.

this tractor sounds heavilly modified!

I do agree that a rebuild on a starter that is not a lost cause should be less than 100$

simple issues like bushing / bearing / cummie dressing and brushes can be done in your shop. if bushing wore enough to let field get cut.. .. you COULD repair that but would need the big drive lug drivers to get the field shoes off the casing.. might as well let the expert do that since you will have to get the part from him anyway.

ytmag has a starter for 160$ plus shipping...

/ 1950 Massey Ferguson TO-20 Starter.. Can it be rebuilt? #6  
your original starter was delco number 1109457 it was solenoid activated by a solenoid not mounted to starter but mounted to the cowling of the tractor if you can find a rebuilder in your area most of the vital organs can still be found i suggest a rebuilder so he can check the field coils for being shorted also same for the armature all other parts can be looked at and pretty well determined if still workable if you cannot locate a rebuilder let me knowi will find you one close by to help and if by some chance you do need armature and fields bill could be close to $200.00 the only connection at the starter was the positive cable from battery good luck

/ 1950 Massey Ferguson TO-20 Starter.. Can it be rebuilt? #7  
cheaper to buy a new assy if armature and coils are 200$

/ 1950 Massey Ferguson TO-20 Starter.. Can it be rebuilt?
Thank you all for your ideas!
I do believe now it is the starter ( I do have this tractor updated to 12v system not the old 6v)
We tried the jumper cable on positive terminal and hit the starter + and got a spark and she slightly turned over.
We then began trying to start using the shifter and it fired!
I drove it around the farm for a bit. Got it in a good spot and shut her down.

Wonderful story except we are back to square one. when I try to start the positive terminal on battery kind of hisses and melts the small amount of corrosion. You can hear this.

We suspected a bad ground through the negative terminal so I bought a new one and replaced the older looking cable.
Still same result but now have a fancy new ground wire.

Now when I try the jumper cable trick with starter I get small spark but no activity from starter.
Im thinking its a short in the starter.
Anyone know of a person capable of rebuild in the Hocking Hills, OH region?
May just buy the new one that was in this thread as "ytmag has a starter for 160$ plus shipping..."

/ 1950 Massey Ferguson TO-20 Starter.. Can it be rebuilt? #9  
Lancaster Auto-Electric, on Union Street near Anchor Hocking. Get on Pierce Ave., turn East on Union across from Anchor. Go aout 1/2 block, before stop sign... His parking lot is across the alley from Anchor Employee's parking lot. You will be at the back of the shop... Walk around front.

Les is the best in Lancaster. Should have it done by Wed., if not real busy.

/ 1950 Massey Ferguson TO-20 Starter.. Can it be rebuilt? #10  
Thank you all for your ideas!
I do believe now it is the starter ( I do have this tractor updated to 12v system not the old 6v)
We tried the jumper cable on positive terminal and hit the starter + and got a spark and she slightly turned over.
We then began trying to start using the shifter and it fired!
I drove it around the farm for a bit. Got it in a good spot and shut her down.

Wonderful story except we are back to square one. when I try to start the positive terminal on battery kind of hisses and melts the small amount of corrosion. You can hear this.

We suspected a bad ground through the negative terminal so I bought a new one and replaced the older looking cable.
Still same result but now have a fancy new ground wire.

Now when I try the jumper cable trick with starter I get small spark but no activity from starter.
Im thinking its a short in the starter.
Anyone know of a person capable of rebuild in the Hocking Hills, OH region?
May just buy the new one that was in this thread as "ytmag has a starter for 160$ plus shipping..."

If you've converted to 12v with an alternator than you most likely have a negative ground system so my instructions for checking the starter have to account for the ground change. Ground the negative and use the battery (+) to touch to the starter connection.

Look for an auto electric shop in the yellow pages and you can probably get th estarter rebuilt for under $100.