Shibaura D28F (wining sound)

/ Shibaura D28F (wining sound) #1  
Tractor
Shabaura D28F
I know I'm full of questions but as you can tell I'm new at tractors I'm wanting to learn more.I was using my box blade the other day and after about 3 hours of hard work,I was about out of fuel and figured it was time to take it back to the house.While on the way I was pulling a hill with the boxblade down I was almost to the top of the hill and I started to hear a wining sound coming from the right side of the engine.The further I got to the top of the hill the sound got loader so I decided to raised the box blade and procede to the top of the hill and when I got closer to the top of the hill the sound started to go away after reaching the top of the hill the sound was gone. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Shibaura D28F (wining sound) #2  
I'm making a wild guess...

I think you were in too high a gear for the slope you were on. Suggest you run up again (try to have your machine set up the same way as you did when you noticed the noise) and move it in the same gear. If it whines as it did before, try the same slope with the same set up in a lower gear.

I'm assuming since this is a grey market tractor that it's a manual transmission.

Sounds like you're getting the whine when there's a load on the engine...especially since it abates when you near the top. I'll wager the slope starts shallow, then increases in steepness and then levels off again before the top.

As I said, this is a guess. Let us know what you find out.