JD 4400 compact tractor stalling

/ JD 4400 compact tractor stalling #1  

Ajtodd031435

Tractor
John deere 4400 compact tractor
Hi I have a slight issue...the tractor starts up fine but as soon as I either engage the blades, put the tractor in gear, or put it in forward or reverse the tractor stalls out....I have jumped the seat switch to see if that was the problem and it still happens....anyone experience this???

/ JD 4400 compact tractor stalling #2  
It sounds like fuel starvation. Check or replace the fuel filter. Also check the tank for slime or other obstruction where fuel leaves the tank. When you do the filter, see if you have a good flow of fuel. Also make sure the cap is vented.

/ JD 4400 compact tractor stalling
You think it's fuel even though it starts and runs fine in neutral...? Rpms go up and down just fine also...it only stalls when attempting to put in fwd/rev or gear A B C D....or the other gears 1 2 3 and c....I put a new seat switch on it...praying that did the trick but it didnt...:confused3:

/ JD 4400 compact tractor stalling #4  
When you say stalls I assume you mean it dies like you shut the key off as opposed to engine labors and shuts off?
Sounds electrical to me too. Have you started chasing voltage? I would suggest an ohmmeter, test light, and start chasing the circuit.
JD Parts catalog on line will be your best free resource.
PTO swtich and clutch switch and I assume it would have a switch on your reverser lever as well.

/ JD 4400 compact tractor stalling #5  
If it only happens with the PTO on, there's got to one of two things...
1. Either the thing you are operating with the PTO is seized and is killing the engine...but that wouldn't be a "labored" stall.
2. You've got an electrical issue.

Jumping the seat switch may not do it. If there's a wire that's cut, that would leave the circuit open still. This is going to be time to sit with some wiring diagrams and a volt/ohm meter.

/ JD 4400 compact tractor stalling #6