help me repair 04 f250 psd with front collision damage :)

/ help me repair 04 f250 psd with front collision damage :) #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
OK.. long story short. payloader backed into front end of f250 psd (04 ) parked on job.

front grill ( whole clip.. h/l assy turn sigs.. etc.. ) is damaged as well as pasanger front quarter panel.. hood ok.. cross metal piece inside E/C is bent, already removed.. rad, and both large coolers are perforated.. thoughthe small steering cooler survived.

got them out and on the ground. fan has some blades broke.

ac condensor got line ripped out of it and a couple of the aluminum lines are popped anyway. tray battery sets on is buckled.. looks like that piece across is a 7 hr job via book as I've been told to unbolt and drill out spot welds.

i see a screw on filter in a filter head in what appears to be the trans cooler lones.. didn't see it at first and it's got road tar onit.. so i can't ID it. (yet)

right side turbo aluminum tube ( by battery ) is bent, so that's off.

ok.. now the good news. now that i got all the stuff unbolted and can eye stuff up and measure.. doesn't look like any frame involvement, or front end or steering components were involved. air cleaner assy intact.. etc..

ok.. now the questions.

1, hows that fan come off?

2, anyone got a number on that trans filter?

3, our mechanic at work quit.. so once agian.. I'm playing the 'tool truck' driver, and the dump truck driver will be my 'here, hold this' man. ( the downside of people knowing you work on old tractors.. :) )

looking for advice and other info.

I'm gonna start calling some junkyards and a few rad shops and see what i can turn up onthe coolers. I know napa sells an after market fan cheaper than the oem.. but may not use the cheaper one.. i hear they are noisy...

can i assume the front clip / gear/ and the e/c strapping will be the same in any f250 of that year range.. gassr and diesel? ( what about f150? )

thanks

/ help me repair 04 f250 psd with front collision damage :) #2  
Wow...the stuff that "happens"!

The only thing I can help you with is the fan. Auto Zone, Oreillys' etc have a fan removal kit for rent with the right wrenches in it. One wrench holds the bolt heads on the water pump pulley and the other fits the hex on the fan shaft. Its a bit frustrating, but it works. In a pinch I've loosened it by giving the hex a burp with an air chisel and wedging a big screwdriver between the pulley bolt heads to hold the pulley still, though I've read that this method could damage the water pump shaft.

/ help me repair 04 f250 psd with front collision damage :)
thanks for the info. I was wondering how to lock that sucker down.

not got to track down that filter hanging down there.

/ help me repair 04 f250 psd with front collision damage :) #4  
I can only say NO to F150 parts. Also Ford changed the front bumper, lights and grill slightly in 2005, so newer parts will not work unless you change everything. Try and get same year or older grill. bumper, lights, core support, etc.

/ help me repair 04 f250 psd with front collision damage :) #5  
As RD said I use an air chisel to remove the fan. It works better than the special tool to remove them. It only takes one little burp to break it loose then you can spin it off by hand.
Bill

i'm trying to visualize this.. where do you put the chissle / hammer face / blade onthe fan.. back side somewhere?

/ help me repair 04 f250 psd with front collision damage :) #7  
On the hex shaped part that looks like you could put a wrench on it between the fan and the pulley. Give it a little burp counterclockwise to free it.

/ help me repair 04 f250 psd with front collision damage :) #8  
The fan nut will be the same direction as the the rotation of the fan. I have a air hammer attachment that is slick it has several wrenches and an attachment that fits the air hammer and drives the wrench works very fast and is safe on the wp.

I have taken a few off jimmying them with a big wrench and using the fan bolts as backup but that damages other stuff if its a hard one to get loose.Like I always say spray oil is your friend.

cool, thanks guys.

I got a couple air hammer/chissles ( small and large ) and plenty of tips.. so will see what's what.

thanks for the info!

PS..

what is it with salvage yards not returning email and calls?

I have msg's out to say? 5 salvage yards with a big parts list.. you'd think I'd have heard a peep from at least one of them.... nada

/ help me repair 04 f250 psd with front collision damage :) #10