New Holland TC 40 D starter wont engage

/ New Holland TC 40 D starter wont engage #1  

JerryL

Tractor
New Holland TC 40D
Hello, I have a 01 NH TC 40 D that I have had for about 4 yrs, has been great. Have had it stored outside last 6 mo, last started it a month or so ago, never any issues. A couple weeks ago turned the key dash and indicator lights work but nothing at the starter.
Checked charge it was fine, put on charger while trying to diagnose it for good measure.

Assumption is a safety switch but have checked all and they are working (brake, neutral, seat, PTO) still nothing.
Pulled the covers off the below the dash, a bit dirty nothing obvious, so cleaned all debris also pulled all relays / fuse blocks cleaned all terminals and plugs reinstalled with electrical contact grease, still nothing.
The main fuse on LH side is good,
Any tips from those of you that know these machines?? I have avoided jumping the solenoid assuming it was a connection or safety switch, but I will do that this afternoon just to get it running. A specific relay for the solenoid I may be missing?

Ignition switch?? a known problem for others??
How about tips on a good manual, I have the little 1/4" thick manual from NH that came with it new.
also tips on good parts suppliers?

For what it is worth I also have a couple Ferguson tractors at dads old place, a 50 TO20 and a 51 TO30

Thank you in advance.

Regards

/ New Holland TC 40 D starter wont engage #2  
Hello, I have a 01 NH TC 40 D that I have had for about 4 yrs, has been great. Have had it stored outside last 6 mo, last started it a month or so ago, never any issues. A couple weeks ago turned the key dash and indicator lights work but nothing at the starter.
Checked charge it was fine, put on charger while trying to diagnose it for good measure.

Assumption is a safety switch but have checked all and they are working (brake, neutral, seat, PTO) still nothing.
Pulled the covers off the below the dash, a bit dirty nothing obvious, so cleaned all debris also pulled all relays / fuse blocks cleaned all terminals and plugs reinstalled with electrical contact grease, still nothing.
The main fuse on LH side is good,
Any tips from those of you that know these machines?? I have avoided jumping the solenoid assuming it was a connection or safety switch, but I will do that this afternoon just to get it running. A specific relay for the solenoid I may be missing?

Ignition switch?? a known problem for others??
How about tips on a good manual, I have the little 1/4" thick manual from NH that came with it new.
also tips on good parts suppliers?

For what it is worth I also have a couple Ferguson tractors at dads old place, a 50 TO20 and a 51 TO30

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Sound like the contacts in the solenoid,, corrosion,, if so,, easy to fix,, pull the solenoid,, take a part and file the contacts.. hour job on most tractor.. Lou

/ New Holland TC 40 D starter wont engage
Thanks Lou, I found lots of good reading in here since the post. including

Default Re: TC33D wont start

Quote Originally Posted by jedjoe
Wow! This story is remarkable! I'm reading this thread because this morning my tc 35 developed the EXACT SAME symptoms!!!
On your 35, be sure to look to see if the PTO light is illuminated when the PTO lever is off. If so, you have to replace fuse #2 also. Good luck troubleshooting your problem.

Jim

This is what was throwing me off over the weekend, even with the PTO safety switch jumppered the light would not go off, which made me check it in the first place. Will check the fuse in a bit and report back, if that is not it off to test solenoid,

Great source for info

Well is the internet just a wonderful thing!!
Was fuse #2 as Jim described about 4 pages into a thread.
What a place for a fuse block, I looked up there a few times as shown in the manual but thought it was not there.
Well at least all of my connectors have been cleaned and lubed!!

I would be still interested in what manuals the group uses beyond the small one that comes with the tractor.
I cant believe the time spent chasing the safety switches, oh well. Off to get some proper fuses then put the covers back on then get some wood up, I am way behind on that. Kind of spoiled using the backhoe and 4 way bucket, the wheelbarrow just does not cut it any more.

This looks like a very helpful site it is bookmarked and I will be back more often, I use & contribute on a couple on some early cars.

Thank You!!

Best Regards

/ New Holland TC 40 D starter wont engage #5  
In that thread mentioned above, the last few pages contain something about putting in a relay between the key switch and the starter. This should help prevent fuse problems and melted key switch problems. I've said this before to people....this is "THE FIX" for the problems with this tractor. This is pretty much a "must do". Spend an afternoon doing it. It's well worth it.

I saw some of that yesterday, I did go back and download the wiring diagram and the parts list from the one post, I will look at the diagram and assume a std 4 pin relay should work. I am a big fan of relays to get power where you need it and lighten the load where you dont need or want it.
Like headlight switches in most early cars, kind of crazy all the amps going through some of those and early ignition switches.
Thanks again to all contributors. As usual I should have spent more time reading / searching prior to posting.

Regards

/ New Holland TC 40 D starter wont engage #7  
It's no problem. You can search, or you can have people that have searched it 10 times tell you. Either way, I've found that you'll get some guidance. Keep us posted!!!

/ New Holland TC 40 D starter wont engage #8  
I've installed more than one such relay in the cranking circuit on TC series. Not so much for fuse blowing issues, but because the starter can fail to engage at times leading one to suspect battery, post and cable problems. I've learned when this occurs, test the starter by jumping the solenoid start terminal to battery a few times in succession. If the starter engages each time, as it often will, then add the relay.

/ New Holland TC 40 D starter wont engage #9  
i have a 2000 TC29 and I just returned home with it on my trailer and the starter won't engage so I can't unload. I've checked the battery and the fuses and they are all good, any suggestions???