Ariens S14-H runs for 3 - 4 seconds and then dies

/ Ariens S14-H runs for 3 - 4 seconds and then dies #1  

rspack

Tractor
Ariens S-14H, Wheel Horse C-125, IH 2444, JD 111
Hi - I have an Ariens S14-H same as a GT14 with the Kohler K series single cyl cast iron engine. Cold it will run for 3 or 4 minutes and will then die. Warm it will only run for 3 or 4 seconds and then it dies. I also have a Wheel Horse C-125 with the 12 horse K series Kohler. I swapped the carb, coil and condenser onto the 14 (they were all working good) and installed a new plug and plug wire and the problem still existed. I put the Ariens carb, coil, condenser on the Wheel Horse and it ran fine. I put new points in the Ariens and started it up with the points cover off same problem. Now though I could visibly see it was losing spark after the 3 or 4 seconds when the engine was restarted warm. I could see the points arcing and then they just stopped. Any ideas? Are there other components in the ignition system? There is some kind of finned box on both the wheel horse and the Ariens that looks to be part of the ignition system. What is it and could it be the problem? Thanks, Bob

/ Ariens S14-H runs for 3 - 4 seconds and then dies #2  
Sounds like you are describing a rectifier. On my case gt it has two wires coming from the stator, you should be able to trace those wires. Not fully sure , but i thought that if it goes bad the motor will still run untill the battery died. There should allso be atleast another wire that runs back to the key switch to the terminal that is allso connected to the pos side of the coil. Since these are all connected, if the rectifier has a short when i gets hot then the positive side of the coil could be grounded.

/ Ariens S14-H runs for 3 - 4 seconds and then dies #3  
Sounds more like a fuel issue. I'm going say a fouled fuel filter is the problem. It runs longer cold because the choke is engaged.

/ Ariens S14-H runs for 3 - 4 seconds and then dies #4  
Have to agree with Doloe. I would look at the fuel. Bad fuel or water in it. Try fresh fuel, if still having
problem, could be safty interlock system.