Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

Default Re: 12-point and 6-point sockets

Quote Originally Posted by EE_Bota View Post
    If I could only have one, I'd choose 6 pt since I almost never see a square nut anymore, and I have never seen a 12 pt nut (didn't know they existed until someone mentioned them.)
    12-point sockets arent appropriate and dont normally work well on square nuts.

Are you thinking of the 8-point type sockets??

And yes, 12-point bolts/nuts do exist, but not something he "average homeowner/tinkerer" is likely to see.

A few examples are Connecting rod bolts or nuts, Flywheel bolts, and sometimes head bolts/studs; just to think of a few common places
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

MX5100 DIY Remotes
    MX5100 Diverter install
    Front Snow Plow Install

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota MX5100HST w/LA844
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

As some of the others have said, both serve a purpose but I prefer the 6 point myself. Less chance of damaging a bolt. What is nice with having both is when your bolting something together and need two 1/2" sockets or what ever size for both sides of the bolt. Yeah, you could use a wrench on one side but if there is tension twisting both at the same time sure speeds things up till it cinches down.

When I started expanding my farm operations I soon learned I needed a good set to take to the field for repairs. I ended up buying a set from Home Depot like what you found. Almost 300 pieces of all the sockets you would ever need and an assortment of wrenches, allens and screw drivers. It was a great start. Ended up buying a good metal 3 tray tool box that I could carry it all in. Then I added an 8, 10, 12 and 15" cresent wrench, tape ruler, 1" wide scraper and thread tape to round out that tool box. Then I found I still needed more tools for the "average" field repair so I bought a small black tool box with single tray and have a 3 pound hammer, steel chisels and punches, more thread tape as well as never sieze and tight lock, a small basic socket set (came with the tool box), note pad, pen, pencil, side cutters, linesman pliers, needle nose and pliers. There are a few other items in there as well. I still wasn't happy as I never had the proper wrenches as the original box of tools only had certain sizes. So Home Depot had a couple fo great sets of SAE and Metric wrenches that came in a canvas case that rolls up. They reduced them so I bought 2 of each set. One set stays in the barn just because their handy and the other set stays with my field kits so I have them when ever I need them. Now if I am baling I keep the field tools in the truck at all times. There are very few repairs I can't do with the tools I have on hand. The down side is these kits are set up so nice I find myself going to my field tool boxes I keep stored in the barn before going to the roll chests and using the barn kits

I am always looking for good deals on tools as you can never have enough. Home Depot has Cresent brand adjustable wrenches on sale currently. Have a 6, 8, 10 and 12" all for $20. Just the 12" alone is $20. I try to keep a couple adjustable wrenches on each tractor as well as a 4 in 1 screwdriver and linesman pliers. Can do a lot of field repairs to a tractor with those simple tools. Vineyard tractors have fence pliers instead of linesmans though as well as staples and string in the tool boxes. I bought three of the Cresent kits as I am setting up another roll chest in one of my other barns and I added a couple tractors and needed to put adjustable wrenches in the tool boxes still. I keep looking for another large set of sockets like I originally found as that would be a great jump start on the barn tool box but my Home Depot doesn't stock those kits anymore. Just the small kits.

God must love stupid people; He made so many

Tractor
    Kubota B9200 HSTD and New Holland TC29DA

I suspect that another reason for the rounded internal corners in the sockets is economy of manufacture. Sharp corners on forging dies tend to wear much quicker than rounded shapes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12