1973 Ford 3000 diesel rear axle seal replacement

/ 1973 Ford 3000 diesel rear axle seal replacement #1  

mojo0768

Tractor
1972 ford 3000 diesel
Could any one tell how much trouble it is to pull the rear axles and replace the seals in a ford 3000 diesel ,,and do i need to replace the inner seals as well as the outer seals ,,,there leaking pretty bad .(NO BRAKES) Thanks Randy

/ 1973 Ford 3000 diesel rear axle seal replacement #2  
The outer seal is more difficult to replace than the inner. Both should be done to ensure an effective repair. Removing the bearing retainer (either a shrink collar or nut, depending on whether you have differential lock or not) and outer bearing is the most challenging part of the job. Many owners remove the axle shaft and bearing housing as a unit and take them to a dealership or repair shop familiar with the job and equipped to do it.

/ 1973 Ford 3000 diesel rear axle seal replacement
Thanks for the info RickB just trying to gather info before i start this job ,,its my tractor and it does not have a differintial lock TKS again. Randy

/ 1973 Ford 3000 diesel rear axle seal replacement
ok ,im back thanks for the previous help ,,,i now have both axles out and on my work bench ,there was no play or movement on the rear axle after i removed the wheels... bearings seem to be fine,but there was not much grease around the bearings but they have been in for 38 years,so im thinking of driving the nut off with chisel and hammer and reuse the nut with some very strong lock tite ,so if i do get the nut off and pull the axle apart from the outer housing will i then be able to replace the outer seal with out any more parts such as bearing race TKS for your help