Kobalt or Craftsman

/ Kobalt or Craftsman #1  

LHS Inc

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3520 eHydro w/300CX FEL
Looking at a 220 pc tool set from Lowes/Kobalt and Sears Craftsman. Both are Metric and Standard sockets and three ratchets 1/2, 1/4, and 3/8. Some wrenches, allen set, and other small stuff.

Been back and forth between the two. Both on sale for $ 99.00. Kobalt is made in Taiwan. Sears is USA, China, and Taiwan.

I noticed that Sears had their lifetime return policy with restrictions while Kobalt has the lifetime nohassle/any reason return policy.

I have a couple of Kobalt sockets and extentions which seem to be equal to some of the Craftsman tools I have.

I can get 5% off the Kobalt using my Lowes card so that makes them a bit cheaper. I don't use my tools enough to wear them out but I would like a dependable set.

Thoughts?

Thanks

/ Kobalt or Craftsman #2  
I have bought a few of the Kobalt tools and had not one problem with them so I dont know if their lifetime no hassle warranty is really no hassle.
I have found that Sears doesnt warranty all of their tools for lifetime and have heard that if you take in a broken rachet for example that you get a used, rebuilt one in return, no more new out of the box.
I had a Harbor Freight set of 1" drive sockets and the rachet ball that holds the socket on popped out. Took it back, got a new one, no problem, no receipt either. I have several sets of wrenches from HF and they all work well, not one broke one so far. Last time I went I picked up a complete set of Large Metric and SAE wrenches in the 7/8-2" range. They look really good.
I dont buy from Sears anymore unless they have a really good clearance sale on.

/ Kobalt or Craftsman #3  
I've never had much problem with either, but I'm always at Lowes and haven't been to a Sears in years. I buy Kobalt all the time and like them.

Eddie

/ Kobalt or Craftsman #4  
I have some of each and prefer the Kobalt ratchets over the lower end Sears. IMO the ratchet gears feel smoother, and seems sealed better. I have accidentally left both outdoors to get rained on and the Kobalt still worked where the Sears needed to be soaked in PB Blaster to bring it back to life. I don't have any new Sears sockets but I do like the larger numbers on Kobalts so my tri-focal eyses can read them.

/ Kobalt or Craftsman #5  
I just bought the $99 Kobalt set (227 pieces I think?) and the quality seems very good.

/ Kobalt or Craftsman #6  
Stopped buying Sears years ago. Kobalt only. Local Sears closed last year. The year before they had been leader in sales in the region. Speculation was they wanted to end the lease in the local mall and throw their sales to the Kmart locally. Same company. Yes you can use your Sears card at Kmart. I don't shop at Kmart either.

/ Kobalt or Craftsman #7  
I have bought a few of the Kobalt tools and had not one problem with them so I dont know if their lifetime no hassle warranty is really no hassle.
I have found that Sears doesnt warranty all of their tools for lifetime and have heard that if you take in a broken rachet for example that you get a used, rebuilt one in return, no more new out of the box.
I had a Harbor Freight set of 1" drive sockets and the rachet ball that holds the socket on popped out. Took it back, got a new one, no problem, no receipt either. I have several sets of wrenches from HF and they all work well, not one broke one so far. Last time I went I picked up a complete set of Large Metric and SAE wrenches in the 7/8-2" range. They look really good.
I dont buy from Sears anymore unless they have a really good clearance sale on.

Around here, you get a rebuilt ratchet, but I have heard other places give new. My last experience was returning a long handle chrome 1/4 inch ratchet. They went in back and got a short handle POS that was rebuilt and still dirty from the last user. When I told them it wasn't the same ratchet the 16 yr old looked at me like I was crazy. The mgr then came and gave me a rebuild kit. Ever try to put that ball bearing in while depressing the spring in front of it?????I fineally took it to another store and they gave me a new off the shelf. Some of the small town stores are franchised and managed poorly.

It will be Kobalt from here on out. There is a website about Craftsman tools out there. Interesting reading.

/ Kobalt or Craftsman #8  
I doubt you'll see any difference between the two. Both will give you lots of years of service.

/ Kobalt or Craftsman
I just bought the $99 Kobalt set (227 pieces I think?) and the quality seems very good.

Thats the one I'm talking about. Kobalt was the 227 piece and the one from Sears is the 220 piece one. I couldn't remember which one was which so I called it even.

I looked them over good and couldn't see much difference.

I used to just go to Sears without thinking about another store but not anymore.

It's sad that so much has changed in such a short amount of time.

/ Kobalt or Craftsman #10  
Are these on sale in certain stores only? I checked on Lowes site and the 227 piece set is $199.98 for my nearest store.