Oil pressure gauge stuck in block

/ Oil pressure gauge stuck in block #1  

puresol

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1700
Bought a used tractor about three weeks ago. I doesnt have the original oil sending switch someone removed it and put a gauge in. Thats ok but you cant see it from the operators seat. I decided to get all of the indicator light working again but cant get the oil gauge out of the block. Anyone got any ideas? The sides feel scuffed up almost like a pipe wrench was used to install it. How strong are these gauge usually? I am concerned about putting to much torque and ringing it off. What about heating the stem a little, could that help? I though about using a pipe wrench but my only access is to the gauge I cant get a wrench on the stem. What about a strap wrench? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

/ Oil pressure gauge stuck in block #2  
strap wrench it. no biggie if you deform it.

IF it does break.. and it might.. use an ez out driven into the hollow stem of the gauge and turn it out.

most are brass and should yeild easilly.

I've had to do a couple like that. you only sweat for a few minutes.. :)

/ Oil pressure gauge stuck in block #3  
Left handed drill bits work well if it snaps off too.

/ Oil pressure gauge stuck in block #4  
yes they do.. however I would'nt want to be drilling out at the oil galley.. :) leaving chips and all.. :)

even using the easy out.. I's use a grease gun to shoot grease int here to fill the cavity as I drve inthe easy out to prevent chips from goin in.

then once out.. I'd crank tractor over and let it puke oil out to remove and debris that may have made it past the grease.