To Bleed or Not To Bleed ???

/ To Bleed or Not To Bleed ??? #1  

crash325

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TC-45
I am about to replace a 9 foot hydrolic hose that goes to the back hoe.

Should I just let the air in the line work its self out???
Or should I bleed it??? My thinking leave the fitting a little loose, but that will be pretty messy. Not easy to catch the fluid where it is located.

What you think????

/ To Bleed or Not To Bleed ??? #2  
There is no need to bleed anything, the system will purge the air when you cycle the controls.

/ To Bleed or Not To Bleed ???
There is no need to bleed anything, the system will purge the air when you cycle the controls.

Thanks - Appreciated
Just worried about air going through the pump.

Got line on, not happy with how I routed it, so will change that tomorrow.

After a careful look the back hoe is a closed system, no place for the air to go, so I bled it anyway. A little mess, but did not think air going round & round would be good.

/ To Bleed or Not To Bleed ??? #5  
Save yourself the mess next time. There really is no need to bleed the line.

Save yourself the mess next time. There really is no need to bleed the line.

You and kenny probably both right. Me just a paranoid old man. Seemed to me sort of like air in a brake system.

/ To Bleed or Not To Bleed ??? #7  
crash325 said:
You and kenny probably both right. Me just a paranoid old man. Seemed to me sort of like air in a brake system.

They are correct, it's not like a brake system in that regard. Interesting that you had a problem which suggest something isn't quite right but air isn't the problem.

They are correct, it's not like a brake system in that regard. Interesting that you had a problem which suggest something isn't quite right but air isn't the problem.

On a closed system how would the air escape???

Its working fine. I just don't like how I routed the hose. Didn't like how was originally routed. Its extra long so the back hoe can be used to remove & install it. Fairly quick & easy with 2 people. Sort of a pain when alone. have to look, move it a little, look again, & so on. Once lined up back the tractor onto it, a little more jerking around to get the pins in.

/ To Bleed or Not To Bleed ??? #9  
crash325 said:
On a closed system how would the air escape???

To quote the movie Joe Dirt..
"Hows a rainbow made? Whys the sky blue? How does a posi track rear end on a Plymouth work? It just does."

/ To Bleed or Not To Bleed ??? #10  
All hydraulic systems are closed systems; otherwise they would get contaminated with dirt. Are you saying your tractor uses a closed-center system versus an open-center one? If I'm correct, and I know KennyD knows the answer for certain; but an open-center system uses a constant displacement hydraulic pump, while a closed-center uses a variable displacement pump.

As for where the air goes; it goes back to the sump and is vented to atmosphere via whatever sump venting system is used. Yes, I know this sounds contradictory about having a vent to atmosphere in a closed system; but the sump vent is designed to let air pass while keeping dirt out.