Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    New Holland TC-45

Default To Bleed or Not To Bleed ???

I am about to replace a 9 foot hydrolic hose that goes to the back hoe.

Should I just let the air in the line work its self out???
    Or should I bleed it??? My thinking leave the fitting a little loose, but that will be pretty messy. Not easy to catch the fluid where it is located.

What you think????
    ::"I STARTED out with nothing....I still have most of it."

New Holland TC45 1,300+ hours - FEL - back hoe - post hole digger - Hydraulic Gannon - cement mixer - pressure washer - 1975 Dodge 500 flat bed - 1974 chevy C65 6 yard dump truck.
    All home made by me. loading forks - 2 drags - roller - Sheep's Foot - Pusher (to unload flat bed truck.) - pickle fork digger - Log splitter -

Tractor
    John Deere 4110, 455AWS

Default Re: To Bleed or Not To Bleed ???

There is no need to bleed anything, the system will purge the air when you cycle the controls.
    KennyD
    www.boltonhooks.com

#BoltOnHooks

Bolt On Grab Hooks, Weld On Grab Hooks, Specialty Chain and Rigging Accessories, Specialty Hydraulic Components, and MUCH more!

Simple JDParts Tutorial HERE

Visit our YouTube Channel

Tractor
    New Holland TC-45

Quote Originally Posted by kennyd View Post
    There is no need to bleed anything, the system will purge the air when you cycle the controls.
    Thanks - Appreciated
    Just worried about air going through the pump.

New Holland TC45 1,300+ hours - FEL - back hoe - post hole digger - Hydraulic Gannon - cement mixer - pressure washer - 1975 Dodge 500 flat bed - 1974 chevy C65 6 yard dump truck.
    All home made by me. loading forks - 2 drags - roller - Sheep's Foot - Pusher (to unload flat bed truck.) - pickle fork digger - Log splitter -

Tractor
    New Holland TC-45

Got line on, not happy with how I routed it, so will change that tomorrow.

After a careful look the back hoe is a closed system, no place for the air to go, so I bled it anyway. A little mess, but did not think air going round & round would be good.

Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

Save yourself the mess next time. There really is no need to bleed the line.

Tractor
    New Holland TC-45

Quote Originally Posted by DT86 View Post
    Save yourself the mess next time. There really is no need to bleed the line.
    You and kenny probably both right. Me just a paranoid old man. Seemed to me sort of like air in a brake system.

Tractor
    John Deere 4520

Quote Originally Posted by crash325

You and kenny probably both right. Me just a paranoid old man. Seemed to me sort of like air in a brake system.
    They are correct, it's not like a brake system in that regard. Interesting that you had a problem which suggest something isn't quite right but air isn't the problem.
    Gary

JD 4520, 400X FEL, Frontier Front Blade, Box Blade, Rotary Cutter, Landscape Rake, 48" Wildkat Grapple and PHD

Tractor
    New Holland TC-45

Quote Originally Posted by JD 4520 View Post
    They are correct, it's not like a brake system in that regard. Interesting that you had a problem which suggest something isn't quite right but air isn't the problem.
    On a closed system how would the air escape???

Its working fine. I just don't like how I routed the hose. Didn't like how was originally routed. Its extra long so the back hoe can be used to remove & install it. Fairly quick & easy with 2 people. Sort of a pain when alone. have to look, move it a little, look again, & so on. Once lined up back the tractor onto it, a little more jerking around to get the pins in.

Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

Quote Originally Posted by crash325

On a closed system how would the air escape???
    To quote the movie Joe Dirt..
    "Hows a rainbow made? Whys the sky blue? How does a posi track rear end on a Plymouth work? It just does."

Tractor
    A couple

All hydraulic systems are closed systems; otherwise they would get contaminated with dirt. Are you saying your tractor uses a closed-center system versus an open-center one? If I'm correct, and I know KennyD knows the answer for certain; but an open-center system uses a constant displacement hydraulic pump, while a closed-center uses a variable displacement pump.

As for where the air goes; it goes back to the sump and is vented to atmosphere via whatever sump venting system is used. Yes, I know this sounds contradictory about having a vent to atmosphere in a closed system; but the sump vent is designed to let air pass while keeping dirt out.
    Paraphrasing Douglas Adams - So long and thanks for all the bacon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast