ford jubilee..changed hydraulic fluid and now nothing works!!

/ ford jubilee..changed hydraulic fluid and now nothing works!! #1  

boydj

Tractor
53 ford jubilee
I have my father in laws old 53 ford jubilee tractor. He's owned it for 40 plus years. He is a fix it when it is broke guy. But, in his favour he doesn't use it much Now I have it and hydraulics, tho' they work, need 5 or 10 minutes of warming up before things start to move, even in summer. It has a hydraulic operated bucket. I know nothing about tractors or hydraulics

I drained the hydraulic system . I am going to guess about 7 U.S. gallons. Took all night and still there was a very small steady stream, not drip drip!. But I thought "enough"and put plugs back in and dumped all of the ( new 134 ) 5 Gallons in rear end . I was surprised to see the transmission fluid did not seem to be as high as the rear ends fluid. I thought they were all commonly linked?? So I dumped remainder in there. That should be lots ( 7 U.S. gallons).

All set!! Fire up the old girl and engage the hydraulics.....nothing....ok...I am used to that...wait...10 minutes later...still nothing. Shut it down for 1/2 hour and do same again and still nothing. I'm starting to think " don't fix it if it ain't broke might apply to routine care of a tractor!!!

Have I done something wrong?? Suggestions??

Thanks

Boyd in Ontario

/ ford jubilee..changed hydraulic fluid and now nothing works!! #2  
Fluid isn't / wasn't the issue, it's either the pump or another moving part. Someone else is likely going to know what but almost certainly not the guild in a situation like that.

That said, when you figure out what it is like the pump, you can use the new fluid so it isn't all for nothing.

/ ford jubilee..changed hydraulic fluid and now nothing works!! #3  
congrats! ;)

that is a multi sump machine.

it has a rear end sump, a hyds sump, and a tranny sump.

tranny and rear hold about 6qts.. hyds holds about 2g.. though can be filled to 3 to accomodate a loader.

sounds like you have a WAY overfilled rear end and possibly trans.. and a BONE dry hyd section letting that pump set there and spin and burn up.... you will also probably notice the axle seasl will start leaking and ruin the brakes.... that sump is way overfull.

there are dipsticks and chek level plugs for a reason.

this is a decent machine.. please invest int he 35$ worth of owner and service manuals to maintain and use it properly.

trans fill on trans.. drain under trans.. level plug on right side aft of heel, above running board. is a plug, not a bolt.. and it is ont he trans.. not center section.

hyds fill is under left front of seat.. drain under center section.... has a dipstick right side center section.

diffy fill is right side aft of seat.. level check plug is a pipe plug in the back side of the left axle trumpet.

post back for more help..

ps.. should not take 10m to prime the hyds.. you may have a shaft seal leak.. OR.. the orings on the plumbing manifold on the suction side needs to be repalced. oring and gasket kit is a whopping 15$... have the manual first.. or you can damage the backpressure valve.

soundguy

/ ford jubilee..changed hydraulic fluid and now nothing works!! #4  
well.. fluid is his problem.. he's putting it in the wrong place.. :) and the hyds are bone dry! :)

Fluid isn't / wasn't the issue, it's either the pump or another moving part. Someone else is likely going to know what but almost certainly not the guild in a situation like that.

That said, when you figure out what it is like the pump, you can use the new fluid so it isn't all for nothing.

/ ford jubilee..changed hydraulic fluid and now nothing works!! #5  
Soundguy said:
well.. fluid is his problem.. he's putting it in the wrong place.. :) and the hyds are bone dry! :)

Point well taken but would have thought he was beyond that point by now. Hopefully he hasn't burned the pump out before it gets resolved.

/ ford jubilee..changed hydraulic fluid and now nothing works!! #6  
the fact it is taking long time to prime usually means a suction leak.. if he's real lucky.. it's a plumbing oring. if he ain't lucky.. it's the shaft seal... and running it dry don't help the shaft seal none.

he's be better off putting in a burp valve in the port on the pump and open it at each start till oil bubbles there ( seconds ).. and then closing it and going.. vs letting it set there and spin dry for 10m till it can push enough air out thru the backpressure / unloader combo and get air displaced out of pump so it can gulp some oil, then get down to business....

/ ford jubilee..changed hydraulic fluid and now nothing works!! #7  
how'd it turn out boyd? any progress to report?

/ ford jubilee..changed hydraulic fluid and now nothing works!!
Armed with this new info!! I went out to garage and transfer pumped a gallon and half out of the diff and into the tranny . I can only see the fluid way down in the bottom. It is dark and cold...I will leave it to a/m and then find the level plugs. There is only one dipstick, left side under the seat, and it shows nil oil.

This is supposed to be a Jubilee, it has that front end....but it has a 5 speed tranny which I suspect should be a 4 spd?? It is a rough old girl but it still seems mostly willing to work. Years ago (15??) a tractor guy took the hydraulics apart and fixed it. I cannot recall just what the problem had been. But it worked well ...for about an hour and then something happened and the hydraulics at back...the blade would sink a little and then jump up a little, and thats the way it stayed. The "tractor guy" suggested the hydraulics were pretty involved , so I opted to leave it as it was, which tho' not perfect, was not bad either. And in last year or so it has always wanted to warm for 10 minutes before they work. BURP valve??? I play with cars all the time, but not tractors and not hydraulics.I am hoping I haven't hurt anything. I will try and find a manual and I guess I had best learn a little ( or a lot!) more about this old timer.

Thanks for the help. Always willing to listen to
ideas. I will get back tomorrow with my results. Boyd

/ ford jubilee..changed hydraulic fluid and now nothing works!!
I'm back again

"soundguy" talks of a third "fill" under the left of the seat....for the all important hydraulics....this did not sound familiar. I just went and looked...Oh boy!!

Now I do recognize it as a fill plug, just like the other two....except... it has a pipe plug elbow dead centre that connects to copper pipe that runs to the front hydraulic lifts. It is very "Rube Goldberg"ish. So...it appears the only way to remove this plug is to first disconnect the piping and what will it be connected to inside?? Is there no other way to get the fluid to the hydraulics. Another Ford tractor person just down the road also thought these tractors have a common "link" (hole??) between the reservoirs to keeep the levels the same. He is wrong??

Like I said...I appreciate any input.

Boyd

/ ford jubilee..changed hydraulic fluid and now nothing works!! #10  
well.. it's not even a naa.. it's a 55-64 00/01/000 since it has a 5spd.

everything I told you is still correct except the dipstick is on the left instead of the right like the naa is.

if you look on the trans bellhousing aft of the starter it will tell you the model id number and serial number..

also.. the hyds sump holds 2g.. it will show low till you have that much in there.

still same basic pump setup and unloading valve.. just slightly different in the naa top cover than an 00+ cover....