FARMALL CUB FOULING PLUGS

/ FARMALL CUB FOULING PLUGS #1  

Ledgemere Farm

Veteran Member
Tractor
A bunch
MY BROTHER'S CUB GOES THROUGH A SET OF PLUGS ABOUT ONCE EVERY COUPLE OF WEEKS DEPENDING UPON HOW MUCH HE USES IT. IT DOES SMOKE A LITTLE. IS THE ENGINE IN NEED OF A REBUILD?

/ FARMALL CUB FOULING PLUGS #2  
I also have an older tractor which will foul a spark plug every couple of weeks. There are a
couple of old tricks to lengthen the time before you have to change the plugs. One is to pull the plug
wire just a little bit off of the end of the spark plug, this causes the spark to jump this gap you
created and a slightly fouled plug will start working again. There used to be a product for sale
which you placed between spark plug and wire to do the same thing.

One other thing you can try is change to a higher heat range plug if they are available in the size you
need. The numbers have been changed in the past few years but my Ford calls for H-10 plugs, I have
used H-12 plugs with good results. Ask a good auto parts supplier for a little hotter plug.

The truth of the matter however is the rings on your tractor are not sealing like they once did, now
a little oil is added to the combustion chamber as the engine runs evidenced by the smoke you see.
Might be almost time to give your tractor engine a little overhaul.

Randy

/ FARMALL CUB FOULING PLUGS #3  
It could be oil fouling your plugs or gas. If the carb is running too rich, it can foul plugs in no time. If you do go to a hotter plug, be sure to get them from someone that knows their business. To hot of a plug can burn holes in the pistons.

/ FARMALL CUB FOULING PLUGS #4  
That old of a tractor has to have bad valve seals. The rubber seals do wear out and oil will foul the plugs. For under $10.00 and some elbow grease you can replace them. This might or might not cure the problem. Do a compression test on the cylinders first to see where you stand.

/ FARMALL CUB FOULING PLUGS #5  
The standard plug for the cub is a D15y champion. I use a hotter d18y in mine. The d21 is hotter yet, it's a shorter plug but it will work. A plug fouler may be a last result, although it may space the plug too close to the gas tank, you'll have to check the clearance.

/ FARMALL CUB FOULING PLUGS
Thanks for all the help. I'll try checking the seals and getting some hotter plugs.

/ FARMALL CUB FOULING PLUGS #7  
See if you can find some spark plug anti-foul adapters. You screw them into the spark plug hole and then screw the plug into them. I have used them on a Ford Jubilee for over 8 years and they work great. Plugs that used to be replaced every two weeks now last 6 months.

/ FARMALL CUB FOULING PLUGS #8  
You can get a wealth of help on your Cub problems at www.farmallcub.com or at ATIS.net (there is a discussion section there). All sorts of data, manuals, etc...........hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ FARMALL CUB FOULING PLUGS
JACKPOT!!! THANKS! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ FARMALL CUB FOULING PLUGS #10  
Do a compression test. That should tell the story if it is rings or another source. I had a similar problem with mine. I took the motor out and noticed the rings were perfectly lined up with each other. The good news is parts are super cheap. Put in rings, rod and main bearings, seal kit, for less than $150.00. Runs strong now and almost twice the power. Very simple to work on and quality built. Makes a great mower tractor with good visibility.