Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota B3300SU

Default Re: Parasitic load on battery

If you're still having isues, check the top of your battery for cleanliness. If the top of your battery is clean and depending on what part of the country your in, dust will conduct electricity. In some parts of the country, the dust/dirt will conduct more. Try putting your meter lead on the positive post and right in the middle of the top of the battery and see what the voltage is.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    My guess is your battery, as you suspect is not up to snuff... One of those solar chargers can be a good investment, and just leave it on all the time.. I have one on the lawn mower.. all the time it is not mowing.. seems to solve the problem.
    Part of the challenge is that I have more than a few batteries around the house. Tractor. Lawn mower. truck. Car. Motorcycle. The truck is the only one that sees regular use. Either I have to shuffle the charger between them or shell out $25 a pop for a trickle charger for each one. Whine, whine, whine...

Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Now that battery is up to "full charge" is the correct time to test it. If tested when run down, the conductence tester the dealer uses will tell them to recharge and retest. A conductence tester will aplly 50% of battery rated load for a specifice period of time then measure reserve capacity, if you have weak battery it will show up and tester will recommend replacing it.
    Dennis

CT225 w/7TL QA FEL, 60"tooth dirt bucket, 68" smooth bucket, Pallet Forks, Bale Spear. Hydrualic top llin, QH, 48 RC, 60" tiller, Angle blade, Landscape rake, Carry-all, Post hole auger.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Well, you think it's worth a call to them? I hate to end up paying $100 later, but I hate wasting their time too.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

I would take the battery to them and have 'em check it. It will only take them about 10 seconds.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Quote Originally Posted by Don87 View Post
    I would take the battery to them and have 'em check it. It will only take them about 10 seconds.
    Well, ain't that a head-smacker. Why didn't I think of that?

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by joshuabardwell View Post
    Well, ain't that a head-smacker. Why didn't I think of that?
    Dunno if you are being sarcastic or not.....I can't really tell.

But nonetheless, if you have a 'dislodged plate' in the battery, it may reoccur during the trip to the dealer. Warranty will not be voided by removal of the battery. You won't need to pay the service call if the battery does test good. They will perform the test at no charge.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

Quote Originally Posted by Don87 View Post
    Dunno if you are being sarcastic or not.....I can't really tell.
    Sorry. I wasn't being sarcastic. I was sincere.

But nonetheless, if you have a 'dislodged plate' in the battery, it may reoccur during the trip to the dealer. Warranty will not be voided by removal of the battery. You won't need to pay the service call if the battery does test good. They will perform the test at no charge.
    Right. The head-smacker was that I hadn't thought to remove the battery and just take it in to be tested.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    YCT306S-S bulldozer Bobcat 743 skidsteer Leyland 344 tractor

I have had a few newish battery’s replaced under warranty to the point I now feel guilty to take another one in my problem is my drive way is up a river bed every time we get heavy rain it gets strewn with boulders driving over them gives the battery a hard time shakes them to death in no time

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by timbatrader View Post
    I have had a few newish battery’s replaced under warranty to the point I now feel guilty to take another one in my problem is my drive way is up a river bed every time we get heavy rain it gets strewn with boulders driving over them gives the battery a hard time shakes them to death in no time
    That's why I mentioned a possible plate becoming dislodged. Most of the time, the dislodged plate will remain dislodged thus ruining the battery. But I have on 2 occasions seen where the plates will touch for a second, then not touch.............Makes it hard to diagnose.
    Don

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast