Anyone know anything about 12 Volt DC motors?

/ Anyone know anything about 12 Volt DC motors? #11  
It is likely you alligator clips are probably smaller than 16 ga. and if you do get it going your clips are going up in flame.. 10.5 amps ia quite a bit. and you wireing and connections need to be able to supply this as well as having a good battery. Of course as others have said, there is no way to turn the shafts by hand. These motors are little powerhouses, with 60 ft. pounds of torque.

/ Anyone know anything about 12 Volt DC motors?
It's 60 inch lbs of torque, not 60 ft lbs. It just dispenses fertilizer.
Even if I had light allegator clips and wire, wouldn't I get some sort of bump out of the motor?

/ Anyone know anything about 12 Volt DC motors? #13  
With a motor that draws 10.5 Amp running you should get quite a spark at the battery terminals when you connect. The initial inrush currant will be much higher. Your 12 Ga wire is fine but you may have burnt the clipleads. If your battery is really OK then you have an open circuit somewhere. Either your wiring or in the motor.

/ Anyone know anything about 12 Volt DC motors? #14  
Are they Bi directional motors? Ground the motor and one of the alligator clips on Positive would run it in one direction, then reverse direction with the other?

/ Anyone know anything about 12 Volt DC motors? #15  
Look here for some specs on the motor.

Look up the frame number, 74-jk-0,fromthere you will find the rest. There's not a lot in there, just a simplemconnection diagram and some mounting dimensions.

http://www.baldor.com/pdf/brochures/ca1500.pdf

Here's how this ended. I took the motors to a shop that checked them out and cleaned them. They said they were like new inside but dirty. They now work like they should and my plan is to sell one of the fertilizer units and motors to help pay for the cost of the other one. This sounds dumb but I think these motors and gear reducers retail for $770. How can they possibly cost this much? I mean, they are beautifully made but $770?

Products: Gear Products: GP7401: Baldor Electric Company, a leader in energy efficient electric motors, linear motors and adjustable speed drives industry

Anyway, cost was minimal and while I admire greatly those of you that can diagnose these kinds of things with multi meters, that science and art form escapes me and the shop worked for me.

/ Anyone know anything about 12 Volt DC motors? #17  
Thats great :thumbsup: Thanks for getting back to us.
I take it from what you said that the brushes and commutators were dirty ?
Or was it something else ?

Guy said things were dirty and he just cleaned things up and put it back together. I presume something simple like dirty surface where the brushes ride. Funny, but I used to do this work in a garage 45 years ago but have since forgotten whatever I knew.

It's a great shop with very thorough people so I just said thanks, tipped my hat and paid the lady at the window. He said it was a real quality motor and gear reduction and a pleasure to work on. Can these motors with gear reducers really cost what I think they cost?

/ Anyone know anything about 12 Volt DC motors? #19  
I think it would be hard to sell a fertilizer distributor if the motor cost $700 or even 200 unless it was to NASA for fertilizing the moon. Public money is easy to spend but individuals to put out $1000 for a fertilizer would have to have just fallen off the turnip truck

/ Anyone know anything about 12 Volt DC motors? #20  
i bet the comie was dirty...