Anyone know anything about 12 Volt DC motors?

/ Anyone know anything about 12 Volt DC motors? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, KubotaL4300, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I picked up two Cole 250 fertilizer units that are electric motor drive. The motors came with them but I don't think they work. Anyone here know anything about DC 12Volt motors?

When I hooked them up to a battery, nothing happened. I can't turn them by hand either and I'm not sure if they are supposed tbe this way or I just don't know what I am doing. Here's a couple of photos of the motors and the tags. The fertilizer units are brand new and the motors look like they have seen very little use.

My plan is to take them to a motor guy next week unless someone here points me in a different direction. Any help or advice appreciated.

003.JPG004.JPG005.JPG006.JPG007.JPG008.JPG009.JPG

/ Anyone know anything about 12 Volt DC motors? #2  
Check to see if the brushes are worn out.
it is gear redution so it will be too hard to turn by hand. 22.5 turns of the motor to one revolution of the shaft.

/ Anyone know anything about 12 Volt DC motors?
Brushes like new. Motors actually like new.

/ Anyone know anything about 12 Volt DC motors? #4  
It's a worm drive so it's very likely to be impossible to turn by hand regardless of the ratio.

/ Anyone know anything about 12 Volt DC motors? #5  
Take the gear reduction off and see if it turns, might be froze/seized. Put ohm meter to the cables. Look for open circuit or very high resistance. Possible the power cord did not get hooked up correct if motor?

/ Anyone know anything about 12 Volt DC motors? #6  
Pull the brush caps and check continuity in each.

Willl--As dumb as this sounds, I don't know how to do those things you mention. In decades of fooling with farm stuff, I never took a motor apart.

/ Anyone know anything about 12 Volt DC motors? #9  
Was your battery and wiring capable of supplying 10.5 A and maintaining 12V output ? Put your V-meter across the motor terminals when you hook it up. See if you have 12 V at the motor terminals. If not and the bat measures 12V then your wiring is to small. If the bat voltage gets pulled down it is not big enough,

You had them out right ?

Got a meter ?

Had them out and they look like new.
Have meter but not sure how to use it. It's a cheap HF one and not used in a while.

Was your battery and wiring capable of supplying 10.5 A and maintaining 12V output ? Put your V-meter across the motor terminals when you hook it up. See if you have 12 V at the motor terminals. If not and the bat measures 12V then your wiring is to small. If the bat voltage gets pulled down it is not big enough,

Yes, the battery could have been run down so I charged it tonight but did not try since then.
The wire coming out of the motor is 12 ga so it's big enough but I used allegator clips and maybe 16 ga wire leads to connect to those ends to try motor. When I touched the wires to the battery I get nothing--not even a slight noise and I figure I should at least get a slight turn or something?