John Deere 5400 issues

/ John Deere 5400 issues #1  

JustinE

Bronze Member
We have a JD 5400 that hasn't run in a while. A few hears back, someone trashed the fuel pump trying to get the solenoid off. Put a new pump on(I've heard it is the wrong one, but I don't trust the person who said do.). A couple of years later, my great-uncle(the source) filled the tank with gas, supposedly messing up the injectors. I know it didn't run right when it was parked, smoking and no real power. I'm wondering what could be wrong and how to fix it. Any advice?

/ John Deere 5400 issues #2  
Start by checking the fuel and air systems. There is no magic advice. Just logical checking from the fuel tank to the injectors. Start with the part numbers of the pump since you have doubts about it. Then check for air. The 5400 had a turbo charger. You'll have to check that too.

/ John Deere 5400 issues
Thank you! I reckon I should head to the dealership and get a shop manual for it.

/ John Deere 5400 issues #4  
JustinE said:
We have a JD 5400 that hasn't run in a while. A few hears back, someone trashed the fuel pump trying to get the solenoid off. Put a new pump on(I've heard it is the wrong one, but I don't trust the person who said do.). A couple of years later, my great-uncle(the source) filled the tank with gas, supposedly messing up the injectors. I know it didn't run right when it was parked, smoking and no real power. I'm wondering what could be wrong and how to fix it. Any advice?

Did you say, "Gasoline"? You have some cleaning up to do and filters to change. You definitely should have a manual.

/ John Deere 5400 issues
Yes, gasoline. The guy who changed the fuel pump also drained the tank and changed filters after the gas incident. Who's to say he didn't lie to me about it. I'm sure there's a reason my great-uncle ran him off and never paid him.