Easy Starting question TC29d..

/ Easy Starting question TC29d.. #1  

horsegirlmechanic

Tractor
TC29D
I am trying to learn diesels.... so I have gotten to the point where I can tune her up.. The other day my husband was driving and she died. (he said it sounded like it ran out of fuel) She had been having tough start problems...both seat safety switch and brake switch AND glow plug switches acting up.. and of course the old ignition switch (someone..had forced the key and actually Bent it!) So I replaced the following... glow plug relay (worked...it now lights up- I am so pleased!) the ignition.. smooth as a baby's... well you know THe tractor turns over but will not catch.. Fuel smell coming out of exhaust. Could it be a safety switch or would it not even turn over?? (headed to NHolland to buy a seat & brake safety switches but from this forum I had a sticky Neutral switch and wonder..hmm maybe it is that too? ) Am I headed the wrong way? Did I mention I got a C in auto electrical.. give me the machine shop and I am happy --this electrical stuff has me blue! My other thought was burnt out glow plugs? There was a problem for a long time with the indicator light but that is now fixed!

/ Easy Starting question TC29d.. #2  
Did it run out of fuel?. I would guess that you still have a problem with the glow plugs. With a test light or meter see if you have power to the glow plugs when you first turn the key on. There is plenty of info for this problem in the N/H forum
Bill

/ Easy Starting question TC29d..
Well...good question. Honestly my husband was pissed off at me so he took the tractor out and he may have ran it out. Before I tried to start it I filled it halfway up. It seems like diesel smelling smoke is coming out of the exhaust. It cranks.. doesnt catch. As you said...my next thing is learning to test glow plugs (cant be that diff then spark plugs) I just keep reading about all the safety cutoffs.. I live near ocean and I think mine all look icky.. can that make it so it cranks and doesnt start? I always need to remember to sit back hard (I dont weigh much) because the safety kills it if I turn to check the PTO..Nice Car for your picture...I'd rather be working on that! Worked in Chi town for 15 years..now I am on a farm in NY...go figure..

/ Easy Starting question TC29d.. #4  
OK...lets start with the key issue. I've had experience. The starter solenoid will sometimes draw an excessive amount of power through the key switch. I had this problem. Key got really hard to turn. Opened it up and looked inside and here it was melted. Any good at wiring? The tail end of this thread includes a wiring diagram for putting a relay in .
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/new-holland-owning-operating/124642-tc33d-wont-start-5.html
I did it on my Case DX33 (essentially the same tractor with different paint) and I haven't had an electrical problem since. I would start with this.
I know that the glow plug relays on that tractor can be finiky also sometimes. Usually a timer issue.
Ignition switches and timers all in one spot. LOL
Replacement Parts - DX33 - DX Series Tractors - Case/IH

A few guys on here have had safety module issues. Make sure that you test the wiring on the seat switch. Make sure that it stays open when the switch is supposed to be and stays closed with someone on the seat. If not, look to the safety module.
New Holland Operators Safety Module 86400241

Honestly, all said and done......pull apart the ignition switch and check it to make sure it's not melted inside. Do the relay, and I'm pretty sure that most of your issues will clean up. If you still have issues......

Hopefully this helps!!!!

/ Easy Starting question TC29d..
Nice day & a little help from a friend-the tractor had 3 gallons of water in it. My lovely neighbors are not happy about my tractor, horsesorchickens.. Life in the Hamptons! So a drain and some new electronics and she is runningGREAT! THanks for encouragement- Ifeel I am learning my tractor better! THANKS AGAIN!

/ Easy Starting question TC29d.. #6  
3 gallons of water in it? Where?

/ Easy Starting question TC29d.. #7